Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

[VIC] Speed limit lift in Victoria

Mike Litherous

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE ssv
FINALLY a Victorian politician making sence on road safety and speed limits. They are looking at 130kmh for Hume and lifting other limits.

The 'speed kills' motto had been rammed down our throat for ages but the artificially low speeds combined with cars that have less driver involvement combine with lowering the driver skill base.

For the first time the road toll is significantly increasing. I would suggest that the driver skill base dilution has something to do with it.

Let's hope the politician Bill Tilley can be heard.

The rediculus thing in Victoria is you can drive a big semi in the wet at the same speed as u can legally drive say a new Vf ssv redline in the dry. I'm pretty sure that the Vf would stop under 1/2 the distance than the truck even if travelling at 130 where the truck is travelling at 100. I still can't figure out why the speed is set the same for both veichles

dgp

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SSV Redline
I doubt he will be heard but I'll keep my fingers crossed.
The problem is that there are so many people without proper driving skills let loose on the roads and new cars with driver aids don't help.
I do a lot of country K's and I can tell you the if I was allowed to drive faster, I would be much more engaged with the task at hand. Instead I get tired and bored and loose concentration.
The government knows they are doing the wrong thing by ramming that safety camera message down our throats but they are addicted to the revenue. Bloody shameful.
There should be government funded driver education for high school kids and subsidies for defensive driver courses.

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
Regal Peackock VF SS-V Redline Wagoon
I doubt he will be heard but I'll keep my fingers crossed.
I doubt it too. Dennis Jensen was an MP in WA for a term or two, I kept track of him 'cos I had quite a few conversations with him on the aus.cars usenet forum back in the days when the internet was a university thing and the World Wide Web (with pictures! wow!) didn't exist yet.
He was never listened-to with respect to this sort of thing, and I think eventually the Libs made sure he got punted 'cos he wasn't towing the party line on everything.

The problem is that there are so many people without proper driving skills let loose on the roads and new cars with driver aids don't help.
[snippety-snip]
There should be government funded driver education for high school kids and subsidies for defensive driver courses.
The problem isn't physical skill so much as getting people to watch what they're doing & also to give a toss about other road-users.
Dunno how you can change those attitudes, you can tell people how to drive & show people how to drive, but that attitude-problem won't necessarily be adjusted; I even think there are cultural problems, it seems to me that certain cultures are attuned to not noticing what's going-on around them (probably a way of coping in overcrowded societies) and that's definitely not goo while driving.
Of course, current speed enforcement is probably making all that worse, not better.

Reaction score
Members Ride
Adventra LX8 & LX6
Just back from The USA, I drove across 5 states the speed limit there in many places in now 80MPH and 85 MPH (128 and 136 kph) So much better on the boring stretches.. They have steadily increased their speed limits from 55MPH (88kph) over the last 30yrs and the road toll falls everytime... far more accidents due to driver distraction at lower speeds... They need to read all the studies the Yanks have done... You genuinely stay more alert at those speeds... On a side note I got pulled over in a 75 limit (120kph) for doing 85 (136kph) and just got a warning.. had a nice chat and was on my way... Over here I would have lost my license and made the evening news... BUT ITS NOT ABOUT REVENUE HONEST!!

gossie

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE International 3.6L
If I had my way it would be 150.

Quite frankly governments need to get serious and offer "super" licences to people that CAN drive having done high speed training and have a full race licence.

Reaction score
Members Ride
Adventra LX8 & LX6

Quite frankly governments need to get serious and offer "super" licences to people that CAN drive having done high speed training and have a full race licence.
Problem with this is speed differentials are more dangerous than the actual speed is.. (ie 1 person at 80 getting passed at 130)

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
Regal Peackock VF SS-V Redline Wagoon
Just back from The USA, I drove across 5 states the speed limit there in many places in now 80MPH and 85 MPH (128 and 136 kph) So much better on the boring stretches.. They have steadily increased their speed limits from 55MPH (88kph) over the last 30yrs and the road toll falls everytime... far more accidents due to driver distraction at lower speeds... They need to read all the studies the Yanks have done... You genuinely stay more alert at those speeds... On a side note I got pulled over in a 75 limit (120kph) for doing 85 (136kph) and just got a warning.. had a nice chat and was on my way... Over here I would have lost my license and made the evening news... BUT ITS NOT ABOUT REVENUE HONEST!!
Next thing you know, the Northern Territory will be ignoring the drop in injury/death that coincided with reintroducing those unlimited speed zones, and applying a limit again.
Wait, wat?

kiwicon

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS V8 Manual
The speed limits were introduced when cars were ****, had next to no suspension, body roll on every corner, couldnt stop cause crap brakes etc.. cars are 10x better than when the "limits" were set, yet they keep the speeds the same.. its stupid..

i agree with the getting bored at slower speeds comments.. I drive about 2.5hrs round trip to work and back, and even on the open road sitting on 100 you just 'drive because you have to' no real interest or concentration..

Over here (NZ) we have a 100km/h limit for cars and 90 for trucks or if you are towing a tralior... its funny cause alot of trucks have the so-called limited to 90Ks sticker on the back of them, but they are passing you on the motorway at around 110..

Noeleter

Reaction score
Members Ride
VEII Equipe Sportwagon
Problem is speeds have to be set for the poorest drivers not the better drivers. A large proportion of the population can't drive safely at 50kph. We need to raise the driving standard. If the speed limits were 150kph there would still be those that think they can text at that speed.

rambunctious

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Executive Wagon

"Super" licence LOL, Oh how I wish this site was here when my children were young, I could have saved so much money by not having to take them to the circus.