Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Speed Limits

revv_head

I DRIVE A V6 SS :P
Reaction score
Members Ride
SS
Does anyone else reckon speed limits for main roads are too low? Most mainroads these days are now only 60 and most are good for up to 90k an hour. Warringah road for example is 70, should be atleast 80-90. Boundry street is 60 should be 70. Monavale road is 90 should be 110 then in its 70 section be 80. Are they really just this low for retarded drivers that dont know that the slowest corner on the road should be taken at 70 so they make the speed limit that? Also it really annoyed me that the blue mountains is now 80 for most of it? Then for the worst and skinniest section it becomes 100. When is the rta going to wake up to themselves.

I totally agree with 40 for school zones and 50 for local areas though when you bring the pedestrian factor in.

Last edited:

Ado

Are we there yet?
Reaction score
Members Ride
vsII statesman L67
If you are worring about speed limits then move to QLD,nobody gives a crap about them.

Tom_1569

Ecotech Power
Reaction score
Members Ride
'14 SR5 Pusslux
I recon most speed limits are pretty good.

You've got to factor in ALL conditions, dry, wet, foggy, sunny, night etc, then you've got pedestrians etc.
Other drivers skill, and cater for all cars on the road. Theres traffic lights on an 80 zone (that goes 100km/h bout 20 metres after the intersection), its hilarious watching people right up 4wd's ass or trucks, people need to remember not every car handles the same.

What shits me more, is roadworks signs up, when not even a wink of roadworks is in sight, beside the sign. For 3 weeks I was slowed to 60 and 40 km/h for 8km's, though NO roadworks ever took place in that time, they were trimming trees one day and forgot the signs, but didnt mean anything for the speed camera setup nearly every morning, surely not revenue raising?

revv_head

Reaction score
Members Ride
SS
Well worse are the stupid 35-45 year old women and men with children in a rav4 who go 10k below the limit on a perfect day. Anyone know the kind?

azzfox

Braaap.
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Members Ride
VE SS-V
Totally agree. Speed limits are recommendations for dumb shits, but still we have to abide by them. But I will say, even 10k over the limit in most places feels far too slow. Im not an excessive hoon, I just know that cars are built to handle much greater speeds, and you have to be going pretty bloody quick to break traction on most corners in an eg. 70 zone. Wet conditions you would obviously use your common sense and slow down. At least restore 50 zones back to 60! So it actually feels like your getting somewhere.

Sometimes I wonder about the people who decided the speeds, like putting an 80 sign right before a 90 degree bend.

Ive had my say before this thread is closed. :)

Calaber

Nil Bastardo Carborundum
Reaction score
Members Ride
CG Captiva 5 Series 2
Does anyone else reckon speed limits for main roads are too low? Most mainroads these days are now only 60 and most are good for up to 90k an hour. Warringah road for example is 70, should be atleast 80-90. Boundry street is 60 should be 70. Monavale road is 90 should be 110 then in its 70 section be 80. Are they really just this low for retarded drivers that dont know that the slowest corner on the road should be taken at 70 so they make the speed limit that? Also it really annoyed me that the blue mountains is now 80 for most of it? Then for the worst and skinniest section it becomes 100. When is the rta going to wake up to themselves.

I totally agree with 40 for school zones and 50 for local areas though when you bring the pedestrian factor in.

Mate,

I can recall when each of those roads had higher speed limits. Mona Vale Road was 100 a few years back from St Ives Showground to Tumbledowndick Hill (and no, I didn't make that up). Warringah Road was higher,, 80 I think, Forest Way was 100 from Morgan Road to Mona Vale Road.

Trouble is, there was only about 60% of the traffic in the 70's that there is now, and roads like Forest Way are built up with houses for most of their length. In the 70's, the houses nearly finished at Morgan Road.

In those days, Mona Vale Road and Forest Way were also single lanes in each direction.

I think you are more likely to find speed limits continue to drop, rather than rise, in the future.

revv_head

Reaction score
Members Ride
SS
the 80 section of forestway is no worse than monavale road 4lane and thats 90.

Haydz

Fasten your seatbelts
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS UTE LS1 T56
best fails for rta are. the suggested speeds for corners :p

i usually attempt to do the speed limit throughout the corner to prove there was no point for their silly signs

Calaber

Nil Bastardo Carborundum
Reaction score
Members Ride
CG Captiva 5 Series 2
the 80 section of forestway is no worse than monavale road 4lane and thats 90.

The problem with Forest Way is that houses and driveways are right on the road, whereas they are well set back along Mona Vale Road. Many of them on MVR are businesses, not residential, so the risk of pedestrians (esp children) is less.