Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Speed Limits

NIXONLS1

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
my mum
Does anyone else reckon speed limits for main roads are too low? Most mainroads these days are now only 60 and most are good for up to 90k an hour. Warringah road for example is 70, should be atleast 80-90. Boundry street is 60 should be 70. Monavale road is 90 should be 110 then in its 70 section be 80. Are they really just this low for retarded drivers that dont know that the slowest corner on the road should be taken at 70 so they make the speed limit that? Also it really annoyed me that the blue mountains is now 80 for most of it? Then for the worst and skinniest section it becomes 100. When is the rta going to wake up to themselves.

I totally agree with 40 for school zones and 50 for local areas though when you bring the pedestrian factor in.

Gotta think of businesses and houses on mona rd and stuff thought. When i worked at Terrey Hills i usually sat on about 100ks anyway.

I agree with 40 zones for public schools, but not for high schools, there old enought to no that walking in front of moving car = painfull injuries

acarmody

Donati..Whoa Green
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Berlina
You have to think about the idiots driving the 40 year old car that had no safety features and wollow like a boat because the suspension needed changing 10 year ago, who also have bald tyres. These cars just cannot take corners fast but doesn't mean the drivers know that.

What pisses me off is that when you are overtaking someone, just as you are passing them they suddenly start doing the same speed as you. Sh!ts me too tears, seriously cruise control isn't that hard to operate, except for the people in the above-mentioned cars.

I agree with 40 zones for public schools, but not for high schools, there old enought to no that walking in front of moving car = painfull injuries

Its not that they don't know moving car = painfull injuries, its just that they don't pay attention.

revv_head

I DRIVE A V6 SS :P
Reaction score
Members Ride
SS
The problem with Forest Way is that houses and driveways are right on the road, whereas they are well set back along Mona Vale Road. Many of them on MVR are businesses, not residential, so the risk of pedestrians (esp children) is less.

But you know where it turns into two lanes in the lead up to monavale road in belrose terrey hills.

.:Brad:.

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF HSV Clubsport
I rekon that after 10 pm or so the speed limit should increase on main roads by 10-20kph as there are alot less cars then, and in some places it feels like you are hardly moving when there are no cars in sight, e.g. wakehurst parkway at night, could easily be 100kph.

revv_head

I DRIVE A V6 SS :P
Reaction score
Members Ride
SS
but then again i got from forestville to harboard in 6minutes last nite at 2am just sitting on 70. so its sorta doesnt matter as much at night.

Acclaimed VS

cruising
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Acclaim
What shits me more, is roadworks signs up, when not even a wink of roadworks is in sight, beside the sign. For 3 weeks I was slowed to 60 and 40 km/h for 8km's, though NO roadworks ever took place in that time

M3 in Brisbane anyone? There is a 60 sign for roadworks and absolutely NO ONE does 60 cause 90% of the time they are doin sweet **** all and there is nothing but the signs even old birds in camry's do at least 70-80ish.

tonza

Beers & Blastbeats
Reaction score
Members Ride
'02 VX Exec S2
M3 in Brisbane anyone? There is a 60 sign for roadworks and absolutely NO ONE does 60 cause 90% of the time they are doin sweet **** all and there is nothing but the signs even old birds in camry's do at least 70-80ish.

yes totally mate, i know what ya saying. am yet to see a road worker haha.
even on weekends, the signs should be covered atleast

tivoom

pimpin pizza wagon
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR S2 Wagon
G why don't we all just make our on speed limit if what revv head is true then I want the f3 and every other freeway to be 180kph **** they are there for a reason weather its because the roads to close to houses or because 200 people died on that bit of road in a year just deal with it or run the risk and cop what get when you F UP

Calaber

Nil Bastardo Carborundum
Reaction score
Members Ride
CG Captiva 5 Series 2
Gotta think of businesses and houses on mona rd and stuff thought. When i worked at Terrey Hills i usually sat on about 100ks anyway.

Right on. Exactly what I believe. If you don't have road sense by the time you reach high school, you ain't never gonna get it.

But you know where it turns into two lanes in the lead up to monavale road in belrose terrey hills.

Yep, that bit is still bush and the speed limit could open up a bit there. You still have the big intersection where the Supercentre feeds in to contend with though, so the speed limit would cut back again for that. They probably work on the thought that one speed zone is enough for the entire section of the open road.

I rekon that after 10 pm or so the speed limit should increase on main roads by 10-20kph as there are alot less cars then, and in some places it feels like you are hardly moving when there are no cars in sight, e.g. wakehurst parkway at night, could easily be 100kph.

As it once was. In fact, back in the really ancient days around the time of the EH, it was a derestricted road. More cars = less speed.

G why don't we all just make our on speed limit if what revv head is true then I want the f3 and every other freeway to be 180kph **** they are there for a reason weather its because the roads to close to houses or because 200 people died on that bit of road in a year just deal with it or run the risk and cop what get when you F UP

It's not your personal safety they are concerned about as much as the safety of others. 180's a bit extreme and the traffic on the F3 for most of the day would never permit those speeds between Sydney and Gosford. It opens up a lot after you head further north - I used to drive the F3 to Newcastle every day and often felt as though I had the road to myself.

Speed limits are designed to accommodate the lowest common denominator - that is, the worst drivers, not the best (or those who think they are the best). As long as drivers can make mistakes or drive stupidly, speed limits will remain artificially low "for the sake of the community at large".

Last edited by a moderator:

graemevb

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
vb
Speed limits are designed to accommodate the lowest common denominator - that is, the worst drivers, not the best (or those who think they are the best). .

Those would be the ones who want the limits raised!