Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Speed sensor / Speedo issue (VR commodore 1993)

Samich

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vr
G'day,

Looking for a bit of advice as my speedo has stopped working. Started off as dropping to zero occasionally but could be sorted with a bang on the dash and over the span of a month has come to not working at all.

I've had a look at the dash cluster and it seems that it is not the original one as my car is a 1993 and it is dated 1994 and also doesn't seem to match up with descriptions other people have given of theirs online (no cogs inside of the cluster which people on other threads have talked about needing replacing).

I've had a look at the speed sensor (manual transmission) to find the two wires had fallen off, I snipped off the two female connectors and replaced them as they kept sliding off the speed sensor. I tried the wires on either side of the connector as I didn't have a clue which side each belonged to and neither worked. I'm wondering if these wires have been tampered with in the past as other descriptions online talk about a wiring harness which this does not have.

I would be grateful for any suggestions as I'm a complete novice when it comes to wiring.

Cheers.

woteva

NEED 4 SPEED
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE2 Sportwagon - VR2 V6 ecotec Wag - VS2 V6 Wag
Your problem is most likely caused by a break in the circuit on the back of the cluster.

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
Dry solder joints is a known issue in 2nd gen Commodores.

gtrboyy

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt ss & lc gtr
T5 cable clutch will speed sensor on box...do know vn/p has harness to speedo but guess vr/s goes through harness to ecu then to speedo like auto cars.

So probably sensor or wiring.

Dry solder issue mainly affects temp & fuel guage...the plastic gears are for odometer not speedo.

BlackVXGTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
GEN-F2 GTS A6, VS Clubsport 185 A4
I was cruising through the Holden VS Service manual looking for injector resistance values for my wife's VS Clubsport, when I came across the item attached below. The manual makes no distinction between ECM (manual) and PCM (auto) for V6 engines, so I assume it would apply to your manual car. Hope it helps you.

Attachments

• V6 PCM Vehicle Speed Sensor Check.pdf
    216.3 KB · Views: 126