Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Speedmaster alloy heads anybody used them

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS III ute, VN V8 Berlina Wags
Has anyone got any first hand experience or knowledge with these.
My heads need valve seats done and i saw these and thought why not.
Std motor rebuild with sv5000 cam.
Will they bolt straight up and will my new gear bolt straight to them with no machining. Any issues with gaskets ect.
Cheers

EYY

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Statesman
Sv5000 cam is a baby. Alloy heads won't be an advantage for you and will end up costing 3-5K by the time they're on the engine.

The standard cast iron heads are enough for 250rwkw plus without much work at all.

Go for a reputable brand for all engine parts.

Reaction score
Members Ride
Reason im asking is alloy heads are 400 each which is nearly the same to rebuild my heads. So its purely a cost thing. So if anyone has any experience with these let know. Cheers

_R_J_K_

Reaction score
Members Ride
Zenki S14
Price sounds to good to be true, compare that price to Come or Yella Terra heads. Googling it brings up ProComp which to me raises red flags.

Reaction score
Members Ride
Pro comp has a bad name from 10 yrs ago. I know plenty of guys in geelong running pro comp cranks on big hp cars and there fine.
Its like Hyundai was crap 10 yrs ago but theyve fixed that.
Thats why im looking for someone with 1st hand knowledge.
Ivr heard good things about speedmaster heads on other manufacturers but nothing on holden.

vr304

Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 ssv manual
Do a google search of speed master/pro comp is all I can say..... it's not good news mate

gtrboyy

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt ss & lc gtr
They're 400 ea totally bare...know that brand expect there to be machining etc required

They'd be more for weight saving than hp.

Other thing is don't know if soft as butter...yet to go there to although I'd try them if 400 or less for pair

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ive had pro comp stroker and had zero issues. I havent heard or read a doom and gloom story in last few yrs from them only onez that come up is 2012 and older that ive found. Thats y im asking for 1st hand knowledge.

Reaction score
Members Ride
They're 400 ea totally bare...know that brand expect there to be machining etc required

They'd be more for weight saving than hp.

Other thing is don't know if soft as butter...yet to go there to although I'd try them if 400 or less for pair
I receive an email back saying some machining may b required which means "will be".
Im only looking at this option purerly from a cost stand point as my heads need full reco 8 valve seats atleast.
Cheers

Tonner Matt

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ 1 Tonner LS1 M6
Thats y im asking for 1st hand knowledge.

You'll probably be hard up trying to find anyone on here with 1st hand knowledge or who has used Pro Comp or their associated parts.
They have a very poor reputation when it comes to the quality of their products.
Unfortunately when a so called performance company like Pro Comp sells products that are downright dodgy crap that fail and most, if not all their products are poorly disguised copies of other performance manufacturers products, people tend to remember when they have to reach into their back pocket twice to pay for something.

Lots of people here will remember the drama years ago with the Comp Cams #26918 valve springs.
There was a dodgy batch of them made and sold that were breaking for no apparent reason and they were taking out motors left, right and centre.
I know of people that will still not use Comp Cams valve springs because of this issue, even though it was rectified.
It left a real bad taste in a lot of peoples mouths, same thing goes for Pro Comps line of products.

Once bitten, twice shy as they say.