Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Speedo is out, can it be fixed

kerrie0400

Reaction score
Members Ride
vy ss
Hi guys

I just brought a 04 vz ss last week and I notice on the way home that the speedo was out buy nearly 30kms according to the gps and digital speedo on the dash. The problem seem to fix itself until yesterday when it was out my 10kms.

Does anyone know whats happening, Im I up for a new cluster or can it be fixed somehow?

The next issue would be trying to find a cluster that has nearly identical kms as mine.

I have uploaded a picture of the speedo, when the car was turned off

20130421_144020.jpg

The car is under warranty but it only covers certain things so I don't think it will be covered under warranty :hmmm:

kerrie0400

Reaction score
Members Ride
vy ss
I can try that but thing is it only seems to happen every now and than and than other times its spot on, so by doing that is it going to put my speedo out even more as in will it say im doing 50km when actually mine doing 60km, if you can understand what I mean

SavVYute

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY S V6 Ute Series II 2004
Look for any evidence the needle might be catching on either the dial or the clear perspex window.
If that's the case the needle would need adjusting so it clears.

Bilby

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV6
When you start driving does the needle move straight away, or does it stay put until you reach 11 KPH and then start moving?

kerrie0400

Reaction score
Members Ride
vy ss
No the needle moves straight away, some days its spot on other days it ranges from being 5kph out to being 30kph out

Bilby

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV6
I was hoping that the needle stays put until you reach 11 KPH. I know it's annoying, but all you have to do is remember that when you're doing 111 KPH you're actually doing 100KPH, however if the needle position on the dial keeps changing, I would just replace that part and be done with it.

SavVYute

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY S V6 Ute Series II 2004
A diagnostic scan will determine if the vehicle speed sensor is faulty.

Benboy

Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 SVZ Wagon
Last edited:

kerrie0400

Reaction score
Members Ride
vy ss
I don't know if a scan tool will help, the digital speedo reading is correct and always is and when I go into the dash using the mode button its telling me that there is no code faults showing up.