Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Speedo issues

Haralambos Varelias

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR executive commodores series 2
hi all my Speedo has stop working on my series 2 VR commodore and im usure why because once i smack the dash it works

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Probably the drive cogs in the cluster. Fairly common issue. You could try resetting the odo a couple of times and see if it fixes it. Try not to do it while in motion as that can cause them to break. Although occasionally the latter is the fix for a sticky cog.

gtrboyy

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt ss & lc gtr
Odometer or speedo?

Odometer is plastic cogs in speedo head breaks.

Fuel/temp/rev tacho go on blink untill you hit a bump or tap dash usually dry solder on voltage regulator.

Those are common.

Actual speedo issue probably be speedo sensor or wiring.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
My bad i was thinking odo. If he has speed sensor issues it should be causing more probs than just no speedo. It won't change gears soon if the speed sensor wiring is playing up or sensor is failing. It will start out changing erratically then when it fully goes it won't change out of first. Im assuming its an auto.

Last edited:

CCCMikey

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS '95. LPG. 513,000KM
All my gauges do this occasionally except for RPM. Once the 'wake up' they never sleep again for that session. I think it's just dying lube in the meters that has become 'sticky'.

If you have a speed alert unit, hold down the up + down buttons before and during key-on and start, and it will function as a digital speedo. You might want to cover up the orange LED though because it blinks at 2 Hz in this mode and is annoying.

raiden_6969

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX SS
The speedo in my VS SS has just stopped working, i've checked the cogs at the back of it & they both appear in tact - I put a old speedo in that was working prior to removal into my car & the speedo is still not working! (All other gauges work fine) Any suggestions?

Phillbert

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS L67 Ute, VX SS
The speedo in my VS SS has just stopped working, i've checked the cogs at the back of it & they both appear in tact - I put a old speedo in that was working prior to removal into my car & the speedo is still not working! (All other gauges work fine) Any suggestions?

Just curious, what year was the old speedo out of and what year is the VS SS.
Reason i ask im told a series 2 wont work in a series 3 cluster.

raiden_6969

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX SS
Just curious, what year was the old speedo out of and what year is the VS SS.
Reason i ask im told a series 2 wont work in a series 3 cluster.

95 VS SS - Its the exact same speedo to the one that was in the car.