Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Speedo not working

holden007

VRII
Reaction score
Members Ride
Subaru Liberty
I have a problem with my speedo, my K's counter wasn't counting so I changed the little 'cog' gear in the speedo, put everything back on all connected up, and now the K's aint counting still, my speedo doesn't work, I tried using the speed alert to check my speed and that doesnt work aswell (the unit works, but doesnt register the speed), I have check the speedo 3 times, and everything seems to be connected.

Anyone have a clue what the problem might be???

Lucky I have the GPS to check my speedo for now!

88GreenVN

Next Exit Left
Reaction score
Members Ride
Dodge Ram Van 1500 5.2 V8
I have a problem with my speedo, my K's counter wasn't counting so I changed the little 'cog' gear in the speedo, put everything back on all connected up, and now the K's aint counting still, my speedo doesn't work, I tried using the speed alert to check my speed and that doesnt work aswell (the unit works, but doesnt register the speed), I have check the speedo 3 times, and everything seems to be connected.

Anyone have a clue what the problem might be???

Lucky I have the GPS to check my speedo for now!

When you replaced the little cog did you put a bit of lube on the spindle. A dry spindle is main cause of the cog failure. Also I have put the cog back in up side down once - and the speedo failed to work.:embarrass

kopper69

Reaction score
Members Ride
VRII Acclaim
Sounds like it could be the speed sensor. Try checking error codes, I think there is an error code if its not working. Otherwise you really need to try another cluster to narrow it down. The cluster can break where the screws go through etc Maybe try spinning the gear to ensure that it is moving freely. Maybe move the kms over a tick or two incase they are simply stuck.

Morton

For external use only
Reaction score
Members Ride
Fairstar the Funship
Could be the speedo sensor. Try unplugging it and plugging it back in again at the transmission.

holden007

VRII
Reaction score
Members Ride
Subaru Liberty
I have checked the speedo cluster, the KM gears is moving smoothly and doubled checked everything inside, lubed it and looks fine. Since my speed alert doesn't show the speed, I'll be checking the speed sensor next, if not I'll get another cluster and check it. Thanks for the help.

holden007

VRII
Reaction score
Members Ride
Subaru Liberty
I checked the speed sensor, it was fine. I brought another cluster and now it works, must have been my old speedo totally not working. Thanks:thumbsup:

kopper69

Reaction score
Members Ride
VRII Acclaim
If youre interested to find the fault, try checking over the flexible copper tracks. They are known to break and even a tiny crack can be enough to stop it working.