Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

speedo recalibration for new diff

adam sv6

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6
Ive searched far and wide for this answer from forums to the holden dealership to no avail. How can the speedo be recalibrated for a diff change? and price? i have a sv6 my09 auto 5 speed.

smidey

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN SS WM 6L
as i understand it, it is electronic & the factory speedo has some adjustment, if it doesn't have enough they can also fit another component to adjust it

scouser king

Reaction score
Members Ride
06 VE SS
I put 3.7's in my auto ss and i was told that i needed my speedo be recalibrated for a ratio change.It turns out that it was only 4k's out.

TraidMarc

Donating Member
Reaction score
Website
www.traidmarc.com
Members Ride
VE Series II SS-V Redline Sportswagon A6 Phantom
I put 3.7's in my auto ss and i was told that i needed my speedo be recalibrated for a ratio change.It turns out that it was only 4k's out.
How much were you expecting?
4K's is about 180 bucks each time you get booked isn't it?

toey@carfx

Detailing Junkie
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Members Ride
2007 wm caprice
i have been told conflicting stories.
some have told me i do need to calibrate and as the speed sensor is on the drive line. also been told it wont need to be done as it uses the abs sensor on one of the front wheels
so buggered if i know. 2 gps's give me different speeds, a mates ve that did get his speedo calibrated and we were both cruising at 110km/h with neither gaining or falling back.
holden can do it too but most will say no as it does take a bit of playing around with tech2. that came from the workshop foreman of bathurst holden, 4 other dealers said no or not sure

maxmod

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ve Calais V Wagon
That's interesting that your Speedo was only 4ks out when I went from 2.92 to 3.7s my Speedo was 30km/h out.

Zerone_V

Reaction score
Members Ride
Lexus IS350 (SL)
The speedo reading can also change if you fit bigger rims, and different profile tyres.

Going from 2.92 to a 3.7 diff will make the speedo read around 73kmph at an actual speed of 100kmph
Changing the stock 18" rims to 20" rims will claw this value back to around 80kmph
Obviously bigger rims will again change this value as well.

krylothe

Reaction score
Members Ride
06 VE SS
Ive searched far and wide for this answer from forums to the holden dealership to no avail. How can the speedo be recalibrated for a diff change? and price? i have a sv6 my09 auto 5 speed.
The speed is worked out from a sensor in the wheel hub I believe and not from the trans like older model commodores. As long as you havnt changed the overall rolling diameter of the tyre it will still be accurate, the thing that may need to be altered is the tune for the auto transmission to suit the diff!