Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Spigot bush for V8

craigvk

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
VK 5L Calais
Could someone please give me a quickie how-to on replacing the spigot bush in my 308 V8 for a M20 manual conversion?

Thanks. :) :thumbsup:

Tree cutter

Tree cutter
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Calais SuperchargedV6
Easiest way to get the old spigot bush out is to find a bolt or steel rod that is a neat fit in the hole in the spigot bush. Fill the hole with grease then hit the bolt in the hole with a hammer. This forces grease behind the bush to push it out. when the bolt hits the crank pull it out and put more grease in then hit the bolt in again. Keep repeating this until the bush is out then wipe the grease out of the hole when finished.

craigvk

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
VK 5L Calais
Thanks.

I don't know what the things look like. The only thing I know is they are pressed into the crank or something.

Tree cutter

Tree cutter
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Calais SuperchargedV6
Spigot bush

This is a photo of a Blue 202 crank with a manual spigot bush fitted. Manual trans use a brass bush that fits flush with the crank like in the photo and the auto bush is made of steel and has a tapered bit that sticks out a bit for the torque converter to centre on. The V8 should have the same size hole in the middle as the 6 but the outer diameter is a bit bigger. The spigot bush is the bit in the centre of the crankshaft. You can tap a new bush in with a hammer, but be carefull because the brass bush can be easily dented or chipped. Its best to use a bit of wood as a punch that you hit with a hammer to hit the bush in

Attachments

• Spigot-007.jpg
    Spigot-007.jpg
    63.6 KB · Views: 919
Last edited:

craigvk

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
VK 5L Calais
Thanks a lot for that.

Can you buy the bush from any spare parts places? What are they usually worth?

Cheers. :thumbsup:

tigervh

SS.....smokin....!
Reaction score
Members Ride
Tiger Mica EFI VH, VZ SS, XC Barina SRI
Thanks a lot for that.

Can you buy the bush from any spare parts places? What are they usually worth?

Cheers. :thumbsup:

Yes they are, should't be more than about ten bucks. Another method of removing them is to get a tap that uses the same drill size as what the bore of the bush is. Tap the hole all the way to the bottom, and then keep on tapping, the bush should screw out on the tap.