Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Spigot Bush Question

Chris E

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vr Executive 3.8
Hey all

Currently in the process of converting my auto vr v6 to a manual because I'm sick of auto and it starting a fire was the last straw lol:ranting:.

I'm not a mechanic and have only learnt what dad has taught me so bear with me lol.

My question is to do with the the spigot in the crank, I got a manual spigot bush off the fellas at autobarn and it looks like it will fit nicely into the crank but I want to make doubly sure that this is how it works. I didn't have to remove anything from the crank when I took the auto box out.

I'm thinking the manual spigot just goes straight in? looks like a nice snug fit but want to make 100% sure.

Have attached a picture of the crank as it is at the moment.

Attachments

• 101_3567.jpg
    101_3567.jpg
    73.5 KB · Views: 1,606

Chirpstr

A new project attack
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Berlina M5, VP M5
Your on the right track mate. Or you need to do is put that brass metal spigot in with a little bit of grease. Use a socket and a hammer to get it in.

Radarboy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Commodore
The crank weather it's and auto or manual are the same. Tap the bush in with the correct tool if you have one for bushes. If not gently do it with an extension bar. A bit of locktight can be rubbed on the outside of the bush for piece of mind but is not really necessary. I small dob of grease on the end of your finger can be rubbed inside the bush. Don't put to much grease in there and get carried away as you don't want grease on the clutch face.

The important thing is to tap the bush in evenly ie..top/bottom/left side/right side....slowly millimetre by millimetre. If you don't put it in straight you will have trouble when your trying to line the box up when fitting.

have fun hope your doing this on a houst but I guess your doing in the garage on your back LOL.

clubby_you

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs clubsport
word of warning don't use grease on a brass spigot bearing they are made of a porous brass and have tiny pockets of oil in them to self lubricate.
If you put grease on it sometimes it will burn and start to sqeal just use a little bit of engine oil is all you need.

Radarboy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Commodore
Clubby you.

..I haven't heard that before. What do you think of a small bit of copper grease. I just don't like the idea of leaving them dry.

Chirpstr

A new project attack
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Berlina M5, VP M5
I've never had a problem with mine. I think you guys have a different spigot being a vs.

clubby_you

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs clubsport
Clubby you.

..I haven't heard that before. What do you think of a small bit of copper grease. I just don't like the idea of leaving them dry.

i just use a bit of engine oil is fine until it starts self lubricating

Chris E

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vr Executive 3.8
Thanks for your quick replies guys should be all sweet now.

And Radarboy Yep i'm doing it in the shed on my back lol.

Tapping it in with a socket thats the same method as the bearing on the my sigmas flywheel then, to easy.

Can't wait to be 5 speed :yeah:

delcowizzid

on holiday
Reaction score
Members Ride
в∞ѕтεכ √&
its silicon bronze and wont need any lube as said above its in the material its made of