Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

spilts vs full range

yobbo88

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH commodore SL wagon 253
as title suggests which way would you go? i currently have some splits in my car running from the amp and i really have to say im far less than impressed. my old car had 4 speakers all running from the head unit and i reckon it kept up loudness wise. where i work i can get some sony full range speakers for damn cheap and have a rated power of 55w rms so my amp will run them well. the brand of splits i have are vdo daytons... anyone heard of these? again they are so crap my rears of the headunit are probably out-performing them

StoneX

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Calais-V 6.0L
Splits and coaxials are both full range speakers.

How are the VDO's crap? What are they doing badly? It's probably a set up issue.

mattman

Reaction score
Members Ride
'00 WH V6
You're probably noticing the difference between 2 and 4 speakers.... not just that the splits are crap, you just don't have a complete "surround" sound.

brohawk

Reaction score
Members Ride
vp calais
try better slpits you get a clearer crisper sound out of good splits than you ever will with coax

phree

Reaction score
Members Ride
VTII Acclaim
The vdo-dayton splits that i've heard have sounded ok, pretty good for the money i would say. Can't remember which model though.

Are you sure everything is setup correctly? As Stonex said, how are they crap? What is the model No.? What amp are you using for them?

phat_com

VR IS A BEAST WITH NEW V6
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR s2 Acclaim/VK IS GONE :(
they can't be to bad as they make sat nav and stuff like that and that stuff looks pretty good.
are they the 6.5" alloy cone splits?

yobbo88

Reaction score
Members Ride
well first off the crossovers blew after about 2 minutes of listening to them. they didnt sound great before this happened and they sound exactly the same now i never changed how they were wired. all wiring is correct. amp is a cadence 4ch z4000. with ch 3&4 bridged for a sub. sub is fine if not too powerful and wanted splits to match sub power. they sound almost tinny i spose you would describe it theres no depth to vocals. they are 6.5" alloy cones. i have rear speakers in the car now running straight from the head unit and they are fine but dont handle bass well. so bass is turned down and my HU has settings to put up sub output only. what i mean by full range speakers is no crossover no seperate tweeter. 2 way speakers but powerful to handle being amped. i think im just expecting too much from these speakers they were only like 130 bucks. im gonna spend some more money this time as the amp has potential

StoneX

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Calais-V 6.0L
Buy better splits then... Coaxials (2/3/4-way speakers) won't sound as good, simple as that.

yobbo88

Reaction score
Members Ride
will do. are sony splits any good? i can get them way cheaper than retail as i work in retail and deal with the NSW rep.

phree

Reaction score
Members Ride
VTII Acclaim
yobbo88 said:
will do. are sony splits any good? i can get them way cheaper than retail as i work in retail and deal with the NSW rep.

No, don't bother.

If you don't want to spend much, consider jaycar carbon fibre splits @~$150, jvc also make a set that retail for ~$199, that are good for the money apparently. Focal, hertz, mbquart and maybe morel also make entry level splits that will s**t all over any of the mainstream brands. Make sure you listen to them with your music, so you know what to expect. Don't buy any without auditioning them. You wouldn't buy a car without driving it first.

In the end though, to get the best out of any splits the mids need to be solidly mounted in sealed and deadened doors and preferably on axis. i.e. angled towards your head, like the later commys do from the factory. Tweeter placement (location/angle) is also important to get the best imaging/staging.

How are they mounted now? Have you setup the xovers/gain etc on the amp to suit them? This is good reading: http://www.caraudioaustralia.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=35875