Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

spinning noises from center of car

bloodylegend

Reaction score
Members Ride
VU S V6 Auto
hey there

i got a manual v6 VR and im having troubles with what i think is the gearbox. its hard to change gears sometimes, intermitently i hear a grinding like sound when changing gears and the center console seems to be heating up quite a bit. in every gear i hear like a spinning sound aswell, in fifth gear the noise is really loud. to top it off theres something leaking from about the middle of the car.

this is all despite getting a new clutch and thrust bearing just recently.

hoping someone here could shed some light or confirm to me that its the gearbox.

greenacc

Searching for the billion
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
um, was it doing all this before the new clutch ?

bloodylegend

Reaction score
Members Ride
VU S V6 Auto
yeah but it was worse before. even harder to change gears. after the clutch and thrust bearing were replaced there were more noises.

thing is that once the cars warmed up these noises get worse. but its slightly easier to change gears.

hako

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS11 BT1 V6
The box is probably low on oil now seeing as it's been leaking which would make it noisier so if it was me I'd drain the gearbox oil (when its warm) and have a good look at the oil to see if there are metal slivers etc in the old oil - then refill maybe add a tube of that gearbox treatment......new oil and the treatment "may" quiten things and make it last a bit longer. If the oil comes out looking like silverfrost then the gearbox will be due for a total overhaul.
So, what I've outlined is the cheapest and probably quickest way of finding out the condition of the box short of removal and whether you are up for a total overhaul.
Hope it all goes well and Good Luck.

Sgt Santa Cruz

Reaction score
Members Ride
94 VR Statesman
sounds like you may have the wrong fluid it. also to quiet things down a bit you can 50/50 the fluid with man trans fluid and auto trans fluid

Adamvr93

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR S Pack - 5 speed
i have the same noise in my vr as well man.. i did a full gearbox rebuild and replaced the clutch and thrust bearing and its a bit quiter but definately still noticeable so i came to the conclusion that its just a noisy gearbox lol..
if its hard to get into gear though then the synchros are probably worn and will need replacing... mine shifts into gear nicely now after the rebuild.. though its still hard to get reverse lol

bloodylegend

Reaction score
Members Ride
VU S V6 Auto
thanks for the feedback guys.

ive been told that the problem is probably because of very low oil in the box from the leak. and from what i can remember is this noise wasnt there just after i got the clutch and thrust bearing put in. probably happened and got worse after the oil leaked out.

just wondering if the low oil could contribute to the heating up on the center console, meaning the plastic bits around the handbrake and gearstick. or if it could be a radiator problem, noting that the temp gauge was a fraction above halfway.