Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Spitting oil out of exhaust

qwertsta

Reaction score
Members Ride
VL Berlina
Hey, today i was cruising around town and my mate was behind me in he's car, we pulled over at my friends house and he said my car was spittiting something out the exhaust so i started my car and got him to rev it and it was spitting oil out of the exhaust, it seem's once the motor is warm it doesnt spit oil but when it's cold it spit's. Today i was at my mate's picking up a car to rally thru the bush, he's dad is a mechanic and i told him my problem he said "your motor's fingered", he said that the piston ring's were worn or something. Do you guy's think the same? Should i get a compression test? if it does have worn ring's im guessing it will cost around 1k+ to replace them so i may aswell just try and find a cheap rb30 engine or a vn engine or something insted of getting it rebuilt???

Also when my car is cold i will go to take off and it sounds like one of the fan belt's or something is rubbing, its very loud? But if i let my car idle for a minute of two and go to take off it's fine???
Thank's.

mag

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Series 1 Acclaim 2003
qwertsta said:
Hey, today i was cruising around town and my mate was behind me in he's car, we pulled over at my friends house and he said my car was spittiting something out the exhaust so i started my car and got him to rev it and it was spitting oil out of the exhaust, it seem's once the motor is warm it doesnt spit oil but when it's cold it spit's. Today i was at my mate's picking up a car to rally thru the bush, he's dad is a mechanic and i told him my problem he said "your motor's fingered", he said that the piston ring's were worn or something. Do you guy's think the same? Should i get a compression test? if it does have worn ring's im guessing it will cost around 1k+ to replace them so i may aswell just try and find a cheap rb30 engine or a vn engine or something insted of getting it rebuilt???

Also when my car is cold i will go to take off and it sounds like one of the fan belt's or something is rubbing, its very loud? But if i let my car idle for a minute of two and go to take off it's fine???
Thank's.

None of us here can see it so , I'd say it's just condensation and the black soot that unleaded makes when the car's cold as when warm no more condensation..:thumbsup:

qwertsta

Reaction score
Members Ride
VL Berlina
Hey thank's for the reply, the oil is a fresh brown. So it is comming from the motor.

Bax

Projecting
Reaction score
Members Ride
Nothing
I'm leaning towards condensation aswell, as much as it may look like oil or petrol its more than likely condensation. I'd be under the impression that if oil was in the exhaust it'd be burning or smoking pretty prefusely.

Anymore reasons why you think its oil?

qwertsta

Reaction score
Members Ride
VL Berlina
Because you put your finger in the exhaust and you are left with oil on your finger (brown lubricant), sound's like im talking dirty but im not :D and yes if you turn the engine off the oil what what is around the rim of the exhaust smoke's a little bit.

bangers

Reaction score
Members Ride
EL FALCON XR6
are you using oil? and i'd tighten the fan belts, if the noise is still there then replace them.

qwertsta

Reaction score
Members Ride
VL Berlina
hey bangers, what do you mean am i using oil?

hakhawk

smooth moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
BMW E21 320i, E36 "318IS" coupe
well, if you're losing oil out the exhaust, are you losing oil in the motor, has it gone down on the dipstick

Bax

Projecting
Reaction score
Members Ride
Nothing
Have you checked your oil and noticed that the level is going down?

Using oil that is

bangers

Reaction score
Members Ride
EL FALCON XR6
is your oil getting low on the dipstick