Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

spitting when coming to a halt

ari666

250,000 hits
Reaction score
Members Ride
1966 impala, R32 GTR
ok, i got a weird one and need to help please.

when i am coming to a stop at the lights or whatever, a split second before the car stops it makes a kinda spitting noise, then surges slightly, then stops. they only way i can describe it is like when someone has just chewed off a bit of fingernail and spit it out.

'toop' kinda noise, lol. it isnt loud either, only audible when the windows are down.

the trans is playing up a bit, i.e. if the fluid level is just on high then it will slip around corners and thump into gear, it needs to be overful to behave. there is a bit of fluid wetness around the pan, but not enough to warrant a new gasket. the sump has wetness around it too and there is an oil drip from somewhere but i still get ok pressure.

just wondering if any one would have any clues? would a dodge gasket spit when coming to a stop? what about the vacuum valve on the trans? would a seal make that noise and not be leaking?

its doing my head in.

Tom_1569

Ecotech Power
Reaction score
Members Ride
'14 SR5 Pusslux
Sounds like a vacuum leak or a timing problem.
EFI or Carb?

ari666

250,000 hits
Reaction score
Members Ride
1966 impala, R32 GTR

Tom_1569

Ecotech Power
Reaction score
Members Ride
'14 SR5 Pusslux
quaddy carb.

as far as i know all vac ports are in use or blocked. will have another look now.

i have been messing with advance/retard timing since dropping in this block and the spitting has been present the whole time. no matter what it is set on.

Ok, Is your timing set properly?

This is a rebuilt motor correct? My paddock bomb use to spit really bad when ti had a broken head gasket, but that shouldnt your case, if its possible do a compression test.

ari666

250,000 hits
Reaction score
Members Ride
1966 impala, R32 GTR

Tom_1569

Ecotech Power
Reaction score
Members Ride
'14 SR5 Pusslux
ouch, yeah was kinda hoping not to hear that. cometic head gaskets, not cheap.

did yours just spit when coming to a stop or all the time though? this is just a really quick 'toop' and thats it.

runnin fine otherwise.

It would rev up fine, but as soon as you backed off the throttle it would start spitting the whole way down, and at idle.