Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Split intake pipe

Vxutehrt

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vu v6
Hi guys been having some overheating issues and have tried flushing Radiator and replaced coolant but still overheating however I just found two big splits in my intake tubing behind my K&n pod filter it was making a hissing noise acceleration but I thought it was just the pod filter as I just purchased the car a month ago it's always sounded like that but worse latley.
Could the split tube be causing my overheating issues??

Vxutehrt

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vu v6
Only overheating after about 20 mins drive and only when I floor it

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
Before or after the MAF? If after it may be running lean? oiled K&N pod filter? Check the MAF, oil from intake filters is known to contaminate the hot wire MAF's and cause lean running conditions. Clean the MAF with some MAF cleaner from your local speed shop or alternatively use some carb cleaner.

Vxutehrt

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vu v6
Got it all duct taped up ATM but since I repaired it the cars idling really bad and still overheating when stopped but fine with air flow once im moving again,
I keep loosing Radiator fluid (water for now) about a litre a after a long drive then car overheats because no water, Ive just been trying to get air out the system I filled the radiator with a coke bottle funnel to get the flow higher than the engine untill it couldn't take any more then with cap off started the car with heater on the water disappeared so I refilled it and tried reving it a little and with every Rev it sucked away water I did this a few times before putting radiator cap on, just went for a decent 20 min drive and temp never went over 80 but I'm sure it will need another good amount of water tomorrow.
There is still a hissing noise from under the plenum somewhere when I rev the engine hard so I'm thinking intake manifold gasket and hoping not head gasket as oil cap looks fine but water is slightly oily,
I've got the thermostat that come with the car purchased recently that has no guts just the flow restrictor so that's why the low temp of 80, I put a new one in but car hit 120 first drive so put old one back.

Last edited:

Vxutehrt

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vu v6
It's now idling like a truck and missing abit but only with like 20%throttle then it clears, haven't got much cash so I really need to figure out the issue if anyone has any ideas please.

Vxutehrt

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vu v6
Just started it up and lots of white steam come out for about 5 mins then nothing, just checked under oil cap there is white foam under there so Im thinking head gasket is gone????