Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

####, split my air intake pipe.

Patti2912

P4TT1
Reaction score
Members Ride
98 VT S Commodore
I won't say how :)whistling) but i have split my air intake pipe.
Not a huge deal, but im now after a new one.
Have researched stainless steel pipes and have decided that for the most part they are purely for look, with possibly SLIGHT smoother airflow (i apologize if im incorrect),
Never the less, im after a new one, whether it be another plastic replacement, or upgrade to a stainless one.
I've searched ebay but can't seem to find too much, can someone point me in the right direction for a new one, and possibly suggest which one id be better off going for?
Money isn't too much of an issue.
VR v6 auto with cold air intake, k&n panel, extractors, custom grind cam, custom tuned memcal, exhaust ect. All the common mods.

Thanks in advance :)

bogan_vk

Reaction score
Members Ride
commodore
+1 wreckers or just use what ive got, stormwater plumbing pipe and a couple of bends lol,

Patti2912

P4TT1
Reaction score
Members Ride
98 VT S Commodore
why go to the wreckers when you can get them new on EBAY?

had same problem a couple of weeks ago got this one even though fo VT vit my VS perfectly

Chris

Good call about the wreckers, id prefer a new one.
As i said i searched ebay and couldn't really find much, so you say a VT one should fit as well? No altering it at all?

wamboin23

Donating Member w/ Boost
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Calais - Cooled L67 + T56 | VF SSV Ute
Good call about the wreckers, id prefer a new one.
As i said i searched ebay and couldn't really find much, so you say a VT one should fit as well? No altering it at all?

not on a VR, he was talking VS.

as was said above, could just use stormwater pipe, a 90 degree bend, and paint it all black.

Patti2912

P4TT1
Reaction score
Members Ride
98 VT S Commodore
not on a VR, he was talking VS.

as was said above, could just use stormwater pipe, a 90 degree bend, and paint it all black.

Oh, the vs is the same as the vt because of the ecotec engine? Got it.
I'm happy to give the storm water pipe a go, but is this really the best option for me?
Personally it just sounds cheap and i don't want to half ask it if i could just pay to get a proper intake pipe or something that may work a bit better than a storm water pipe. I may be wrong, im just not looking for a cheap fix.

Andrew426

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP calais, VR Berlina, VJ valiant, BG5 legacy
Why not plate up your intake manifold, stick a couple of 50mm throttlebodies on the top, pointing upwards through the bonnet and keep your air filter hidden under a group A scoop on the bonnet, or alternatively just sticking out?

Bizmark

Reaction score
Members Ride
93' Pov-Pac
If you want a cheap fix, just grab another factory L pipe from the wreckers, or see if there is anyone wrecking a VN- VR V6 on here. A mate may even have a spare lying around.

If you want something that will help performance, find a pipe that is 100% smooth on the inside, and find a way to insulate the outside from heat. It may help to ditch the convoluted connectors and replace them with silicone hose, though it will only make a difference if they are the main restriction in the intake system.

Patti2912

P4TT1
Reaction score
Members Ride
98 VT S Commodore
If you want something that will help performance, find a pipe that is 100% smooth on the inside, and find a way to insulate the outside from heat. It may help to ditch the convoluted connectors and replace them with silicone hose, though it will only make a difference if they are the main restriction in the intake system.

So what was suggested a few comments above regarding storm water piping, is this the kind of piping your talking about?
I've seen straight smooth black plastic as air intake pipes before but always figured this was a product that can be bought from ebay, holden, ect, which ideally what i was trying to locate by starting this thread.
Ill try my hand at making one and see how that goes.
Thanks heaps for that bud.