Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Split Radiator?

Drawnnite

Obviously Unsensible
Reaction score
Members Ride
2000 Vs Ute
Quick question about the Radiator in a VS. Is it possible or likely that the bottom of the Radiator can split?

So backstory got home today, saw the dreaded green water dropping from the front. Looked in the overflow and saw it was empty (didn't open rad cap as was still just driven hot) and obviously it was dripping on the ground.
Looked all around and no leaks up top, a very minor trail on the rad fan shroud down low and pulled the underneath plastic deflector off and found a fair bit of green liquid in that metal channel under the rad.
Had an inspection cam out to get into everywhere and see as much as possible with no trace as to any Radiator damage.

Always had issues with the car, gets really hot if sitting (but is fine if driving and getting cooled). Normally sits just on or above the first major line. Fan and so on kicks in when needed.

So I guess questions are, would it likely be split right at the base and only be able to see it with rad out and under pressure?
And 2, a temporary stop leak product, any thoughts on them? In about a month car is getting parked up and engine/box is coming out, so want to save replacing the rad til then.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
V6 or V8? Rads are cheap on eBay and seem to be decent.

woteva

NEED 4 SPEED
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE2 Sportwagon - VR2 V6 ecotec Wag - VS2 V6 Wag
I have only seen the side tanks get hard and brittle after many years. If the side tanks look good, you may have a hole in the aluminium and it could be at the in the middle of the cores where you cant see it.
Not worth repairing anyway, you could try stop leak as a temp fix, or pick up a new radiator for around $200 or cheaper online.

Drawnnite

Obviously Unsensible
Reaction score
Members Ride
2000 Vs Ute
Thanks guys.
Makes sense it could be in the middle somewhere out of sight.

Yeah it'll get a new one, just want to avoid dumping fluids twice In a month.
Will grab some stop leak and see how it goes.

Vs v6, has seen a fair few km's so things are wearing out.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
EBay has two options, plastic tank which according to what I have heard are fine. Or an all alloy rad for about 3x the price which I have used in my old V6 no issues. They are thicker though, which means there is a gap at the top.

two-bit

old enough to mang better
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS S series II
my first radiator weeped from where the plastic tank joined the aluminum radiator.
i used alumaseal as a temp fix lasted a couple of months until i fixed it correctly , just flush out the block/cooling system really well when you pull the motor out, it likes to hang around and dirty up the cooling system.

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
EBay has two options, plastic tank which according to what I have heard are fine. Or an all alloy rad for about 3x the price which I have used in my old V6 no issues. They are thicker though, which means there is a gap at the top.

The son in law has bought 4 fleabay radiators for his VX in 5 years...Every single one has dumped its guts after 12 months....And by dumped its guts, I mean after a 20 kay run, the rad has dumped all the coolant

Not sure of the seller unfortunately....

I bought a brand new 3 core copper radiator for the VC just over 12 months ago for $300 (give or take a few bucks)...Can't remember the brand but...

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
Thanks guys.
Makes sense it could be in the middle somewhere out of sight.

Yeah it'll get a new one, just want to avoid dumping fluids twice In a month.
Will grab some stop leak and see how it goes.

Vs v6, has seen a fair few km's so things are wearing out.

Personally I'd buy a new one....Everyone knows, if you wait a few months, the price will go up and you'll kick yourself not getting it for a cheaper price....And it seems like you need a new one.

As for dumping the fluid...If it's only going to be in for a month or 2, plain ol' water ain't going to hurt....Saves buying coolant and dumping that after a short period of time

Drawnnite

Obviously Unsensible
Reaction score
Members Ride
2000 Vs Ute
Have bought the stop leak stuff.
Car didn't get overly hot to/from work, maybe up to half or below at most so fans didn't kick in and when driving sits on the 1st big line.
When parked there was no leaks and overflow was at a good level.
Guess it'll be monitored and see if the leak occurs. If so will chuck in the sealant.

Will probably go the metal rad, pretty sure that's what was last put in. Could check receipts, but I'd assume it was a long time ago.