Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Split second rattle

HDJ

Reaction score
Members Ride
2016 SSV REDLINE
basically I started my car today, after it sitting cold for about 8 hours and upon startup for a split second a rattling sort of noise occurred. Now my car does have an exhaust rattle when cold on idle it only has a slight rattle not as loud as the split second one that occurred. I tried Revving and turning it on and off but i can’t seem to make the sound again. Also my car rattles in first when cold for 3 secs. Could it be timing chains?

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
I'd say it's timing chains. Even though my engine is a Buick it, replacing the chain eliminated a cold start rattle and hot running rattle. Mine started out with a 3-4 second rattle upon starting, then eventually got bad when hot.

HDJ

Reaction score
Members Ride
2016 SSV REDLINE
It’s going for a service on Friday so should be confirmed by then. Just a quick update it did it again after letting it sit cold again for 3 hours. It happens a second after it’s started and lasts for two blinks of an eye on idle only.

greenacc

Searching for the billion
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
Sounds normal for Alloytecs. The question gets asked every week so it's very common. My car has made a very short rattle when started in the morning for the last 10 years and hasn't been a problem yet. Just make sure you change the oil regularly before it goes black.

HDJ

Reaction score
Members Ride
2016 SSV REDLINE
My cars a sidi LFX 2012

lmoengnr

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12.5 Maloo R8, MY12 Redline ute, Magnum 224
Probably just the hydraulic chain tensioners bleeding down.

HDJ

Reaction score
Members Ride
2016 SSV REDLINE
Well she’s never done this rattle before only started today.

HDJ

Reaction score
Members Ride
2016 SSV REDLINE

This is exactly what it sounds like.

greenacc

Searching for the billion
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
Still normal. The oil pressure takes a few seconds to build up enough after starting to tension the chains fully.
Actually there's a nasty crunchy sound just at the end. That's weird because on mine the slight chain noise happens instantly as it starts. Yours was quiet then got crunchy.

Last edited:

HDJ

Reaction score
Members Ride
2016 SSV REDLINE
Well hopefully your right and nothing is actually wrong with the car as this only started happening today. Fingers crossed it’s not chains.

Still normal. The oil pressure takes a few seconds to build up enough after starting to tension the chains fully.
Actually there's a nasty crunchy sound just at the end. That's weird because on mine the slight chain noise happens instantly as it starts. Yours was quiet then got crunchy.