Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Splits in front and rear doors?

Marzz

Reaction score
Members Ride
vz
Hi All,

I have a VZ Wagon and want to replace the factory junk in the front and rear doors.

I've been tossing up between splits for the front and rear doors or just splits up front and coaxials in the rear doors. I'm replacing the manual windows with electric ones in the rear doors so there will be a hole where the winder was. I'm thinking this would be a nice place to put the tweeters. I don't want to go all out with a sub as I really need the space in the wagon and it has to be child-proof.

System I was thinking of is:

Phreddy's mod to my std HU.
Jaycar 6.5" splits for front and rear doors.
Jaycar 4 X 50W Amp.

So basically would splits be overkill in the rear doors? Budget is about what it would cost for the above mentioned hardware, say around $800.00 max.

Thanks,

Marz.

Joe Peeps

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Acclaim
^Agreed. The passengers can have your scraps. Dont waste Phreddy's mod on some cheapie splits! leave the back as is and double the budget for the fronts, You can then get a 2 channel instead which will give more headroom and should be cheaper.

EDIT* Yes i am aware that Phreddy himself has the Jaycar splits :whistling :whistling :whistling

Last edited:

SweetWagon

booosted
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Berlina Wagon Supercharged
might sound a bit crap if only the fronts are being amped. I say if your willing to pay extra for 2 sets of splits then go for it

Reaction score
Website
www.caraudiofactoryoutlet.com.au
Members Ride
VK BROCK Group "A"
:yeah:
^Agreed. The passengers can have your scraps. Dont waste Phreddy's mod on some cheapie splits! leave the back as is and double the budget for the fronts, You can then get a 2 channel instead which will give more headroom and should be cheaper.

EDIT* Yes i am aware that Phreddy himself has the Jaycar splits :whistling :whistling :whistling

You could go for two sets of SPR-17LS and a MRV-F345 for $900.00

Or two sets of T162S and a P450.4 for $1000.00

or two sets of TS-C1625 and a GM-6200F for $800.00

you will get shoot Joey!!:yeah:

Marzz

Reaction score
Members Ride
vz
Thanks for the input guys....

Ok, if the consensus is not to worry about the passengers in the rear (my kids mainly) how about subs in the rear doors? Are there subs that small?

lieos

what ford i didnt see it
Reaction score
i've definitely have heard of 6.5" subs i think JL audio makes some dont know how good they are or if they need an enclosure.

Joe Peeps

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Acclaim
might sound a bit crap if only the fronts are being amped. I say if your willing to pay extra for 2 sets of splits then go for it

What?!? Tell that to all the SQ afficionado's, many of whom fade their rears out completely (or dont even have any installed, let alone amped) I run boston SL60's (cheap end of the mid price range id say) and leave my rears stock and unamped and it sounds pretty decent. If your spending big dough then buy the two sets of splits. When your buying jaycar, IMHO you are way better off spending more on the front splits. One set of good splits in the front getting the proper juice will kill any two sets of average splits.

Marzz, your looking at minimum 8 inch drivers for subs - 6.5 cant handle the low end adequately. I know you said you didnt have room for subs, but you can get some that require a small box <1 cu ft. If you want bass, id consider this option.

Sir-Psycho-Sexy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VL executive
Thanks for the input guys....

Ok, if the consensus is not to worry about the passengers in the rear (my kids mainly) how about subs in the rear doors? Are there subs that small?

Jay car have 6.5" subs for $80 each (I think they still stock them)

Joe Peeps

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Acclaim
The Jaycar 6.5 - or any other 6.5 woofer for that matter, will never suffice as a sub, so dont expect much from them in terms of subbass - which is what i gathered you were you aiming for?