Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

splits

acarmody

Donati..Whoa Green
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Berlina
Have you got the model numbers, should be on the back of the speakers?

acarmody

Donati..Whoa Green
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Berlina
Don't rush, I'm about to go to bed, tired after gym. I'll have a look when I wake up. And yeah it sure does help with the skin off, I've broken one front window switch and two rear window switches in my time taking the damn door skins off.

LthlThrt

Reaction score
Members Ride
02 VU II SS
Don't rush, I'm about to go to bed, tired after gym. I'll have a look when I wake up. And yeah it sure does help with the skin off, I've broken one front window switch and two rear window switches in my time taking the damn door skins off.

TS-D1720C thats them, what gym do you go to? might have to come for a session w/ ya lol.

here is a link ill jump on here tomorrow morning and have a look

acarmody

Donati..Whoa Green
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Berlina
I came back on anyway, ok well those are 60wrms splits. Hmm this is going to be a hard on, see those 6x9s are quite powerful at 150wrms, and if you feed them that it will make your sound stage be in the rear, aka they will nearly blot out those splits, and if you underpower them to level out the system then that's just a waste. Now if your going to have subs, then you put the 6x9s on a HPF and don't make them play bass, then yeah it will override those splits.

What is the model number on the Kenwood splits. I'm thinking front and rear splits powered off a 4-channel amp, and sell the 6x9s.

As for gym, on a Uni or off day I go to the Jetts at Redcliffe, on a work day I go to Jetts at the Grange (closer to work). Think that might be a bit far for ya. LOL.

LthlThrt

Reaction score
Members Ride
02 VU II SS
I came back on anyway, ok well those are 60wrms splits. Hmm this is going to be a hard on, see those 6x9s are quite powerful at 150wrms, and if you feed them that it will make your sound stage be in the rear, aka they will nearly blot out those splits, and if you underpower them to level out the system then that's just a waste. Now if your going to have subs, then you put the 6x9s on a HPF and don't make them play bass, then yeah it will override those splits.

What is the model number on the Kenwood splits. I'm thinking front and rear splits powered off a 4-channel amp, and sell the 6x9s.

As for gym, on a Uni or off day I go to the Jetts at Redcliffe, on a work day I go to Jetts at the Grange (closer to work). Think that might be a bit far for ya. LOL.

the kenwoods are KFC - P605ie link - Ryda Car Audio - Kenwood CVar Audio KFC-P605IE 6" Splits($158.85) least if i sell the 6by9s then i will have a bit more cash for the amp lol, wot if i put the 6.5 and the 6 splits on the amp and ran the 6by9s off the hu or a smaller 2ch amp? or would that be pointless? and i am planning on getting subs, i have one, but it isnt the loudest mainly because it is running off a small amp but i am getting rid of that and will be getting either 2 12s or 2 15s just depends mainly on the price and power etc. what is an HPF?

haha yea a bit far lol, i go to snap fitness at carina (cheaper), so just out of the way haha.

acarmody

Donati..Whoa Green
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Berlina
Well if you have the fronts running at 60wrms, and the rear Kenwoods running at 50wrms, and say the 6x9s running off say 50wrms (from small amp) then you will still have too much power coming from behind you. And running those nice 6x9s that can handle 150wrms, off a H/U that only puts out 10-15wrms would just be a massive waste. I personally would sell them and get a better amp for subs or something.

BTW any reason you want two 12" or 15" subs instead of one good one? Usually one good one will sound better.

And the HPF lets only 'high' frequencies through. So your splits don't try to play bass, which they are not made to do. I have mine set at 100hz, so my splits only play 100hz and up. You can get splits playing lower than that, but you will find the volume before distortion to be a lot lower. As a bastardized rule, the higher the HPF (to a degree) the louder it will play the high frequencies, since lower frequencies will distort the speaker and make it all sound like crap

Last edited:

LthlThrt

Reaction score
Members Ride
02 VU II SS
i have always been used to having two subs in all my other cars but if 1 really good sub can do the work of 2 subs then 1 it is, can u change the frequency on the crossover?
what would you reccomend for a good amp to use to power the 6.5" and the 6" splits?
how would those 6by9s go in the boot w/ the sub? powered off an amp ofcourse?

SuperSixty6

Alto Rullo
Reaction score
Members Ride
Landcruiser TD
Acarmody- You seem very pushy with your sound staging. LthlThrt do you like sound coming from the rear at all? Oh dear SQ freaks will go stupid if they hear me ask that!

I haven’t read too much into this thread, But you decide whether you are going for SPL or SQ. Running more speakers will generally get you a higher SPL, But will stuff your sound staging around allot, In saying that there is no doubt so many front sets of components that haven’t been tuned right.

My opinions on that matter is that if you really want to run rear speakers give the speakers then min requirement, That way you are eliminating a high percentage of possible distortion. As for the 6 x 9s, I like many other people no longer believe in them unless you aren’t running a sub. The oval cone appose to a circle gives out funny sound waves, and they will distort allot easier then a good set of 6” round speakers. My advice get some spacers made up and through 6 “in the parcel shelf since you are running woofers and not 6 x 9s.

And as far as your sound staging concerns, with Acarmody saying you don’t want your rear fill to be louder. Well simply tune your system correctly, Just because you are giving them allot more power then the fronts does not mean they have to play louder. You tune your system to count, Like I said that way giving them there min power amount will eliminate possible distortion.

Like some of you may know, I am building a SQ car atm, But I also have rear fill. Once completed gains will be right down and the rear will just be slightly heard until I want to max it up for some SQL!

Too much typing now, and not enough sence! Haha

Super6