Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Splitter

Deutscher

Reaction score
Members Ride
Toyota MR2
Hi guys,
Just wondering if someone could tell me why I would need a splitter in my car audio? I'm looking at purchasing Rockford Fosgate RFK4X 4 Gauge Amplifier Wiring Kit with RCA. But when I called Alberts they told me they don't sell kits and just cables and said I needed a splitter.

The amp I want to hook up to my deck is a MB Quart Discuss 480. I'll be bridging the channels to make it a 2 channel to power the Alpine Type R components (110rms @ 4ohm) (bit overpower but the 480 (320x2 @ 4ohm) was cheaper than say the 450 (200x2 @ 4ohm)).

I thought a splitter would be used if I had 1 RCA output from deck and I wanted to power 2 Amps with the 1 output. But the deck has 3 outputs so I can use different outputs so I wouldn't need a splitter ye? Is that what the splitter is?

Alberts quoted me $120 for their "kit" which includes 4 gauge, rca's fuse, splitter, (not sure on speaker cable). The rockford will cost me $200.

StoneX

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Calais-V 6.0L
The amp has 4 RCA input sockets for the 4 channels. Since you are just running your front speakers from it, you will only be running your front set of RCA's to it... This is just 2 RCA plugs. Two plugs doesn't fill the 4 sockets on the amp... That's why they've said you need a splitter.

Some amps have a 2 channel / 4 channel switch. If it does, just set it to 2 channel and run the one set of front RCA's into it. If it doesn't have the switch, get the splitters.

Deutscher

Reaction score
Members Ride
Toyota MR2
The amp has 4 RCA input sockets for the 4 channels. Since you are just running your front speakers from it, you will only be running your front set of RCA's to it... This is just 2 RCA plugs. Two plugs doesn't fill the 4 sockets on the amp... That's why they've said you need a splitter.

Some amps have a 2 channel / 4 channel switch. If it does, just set it to 2 channel and run the one set of front RCA's into it. If it doesn't have the switch, get the splitters.

wow, a lil confusing for me. So you saying I need 2 sets of RCA's? or single set RCA? I only want to run my Fronts (bridged).

StoneX

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Calais-V 6.0L
You run your front RCA's to the amp and buy a splitter to plug into all the sockets on the amp.

Two of these.

Deutscher

Reaction score
Members Ride
Toyota MR2
You run your front RCA's to the amp and buy a splitter to plug into all the sockets on the amp.

Two of these.

Can the splitters make a difference in quality? is there a good brand splitter? or do they all do same thing (in quality).

StoneX

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Calais-V 6.0L
I'm sure a name brand one will be better made, but I doubt you'll have a problem with one from Jaycar, Dick Smith, Kmart, etc.

Deutscher

Reaction score
Members Ride
Toyota MR2
Do you split the cable at the head unit or at the amp side? Trying to figure out which I'll need. Does it matter? Soundstream has either way, the only one I can find is soundstream. I'll have to call around and get prices and see if I can get something different cause I'm not fan of soundstream XD. So i'll need 2 Y splitters ye?

I prefer Rockford ... like the amp is and wiring kit :) See if Alberts sell the Rockford splitters.

StoneX

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Calais-V 6.0L
If you do it at the head unit end, you will need to run two sets of RCA's the length of the car. If you run one set of RCA's to the amp and then split it, you save on buying an extra RCA.

Stinger probably has RCA splitters. And yep, you'll need two because they come as 1 RCA socket to 2 RCA plugs.

sweefu

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Berlina V6 / R31 Skyline
i got really good thick rampage splitters at supercheap for 8 dollars each, work great