Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Splutters/Jerks

ProbablyRaging

Drop Bass, Not Bombs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
Vroom Vroom Car
I was out camping with the missus the other week and on the way home, on a road full of up hills and down hills my car started making a jerking motion.

After driving for abit longer I noticed it was happening mainly when I was going about 70-80 KPH and uphill more then flat parts of the road.

To explain to feeling, imagine going uphill doing 75KPH, the car starts to feel as if it is loosing power for a split second then it clunks and gets power back, then loses power again, over and over until i either coast up the hill or get over the hill. These arent steep hill btw.

I've replaced fuel filter about 1,000km ago and leads and coil packs, cleaned air filter and injectors ect 6-7,000km ago.

I tested coil packs and they seem fine. Im pretty much stumped now. Im starting to think my gear box is on the way out.

Any help would great!

ryan101

Reaction score
Members Ride
vx ss
What car? How old are the leads? And plugs?

commodore665

expat Saffa
Reaction score
Members Ride
2005 SV6 & Alfa Romeo 156 V6
Just a thought , check to see that your leads are securely attached to the plugs and to the coil pack .

ProbablyRaging

Drop Bass, Not Bombs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
Vroom Vroom Car
What car? How old are the leads? And plugs?

VXII Exec, id say they are about 6 month old or so. Could they really bugger up in such a short time. This problem has only been happening for 2-3 weeks now.

Just a thought , check to see that your leads are securely attached to the plugs and to the coil pack .

Yep, already did mate. They look and feel fine to me! Even unplugged and plugged them all back in when testing the coils.

Brett_jjj

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
Were the 3 new coil packs genuine ones or cheaper aftermarket ones? Ive seen quite a few of these cheaper coils fail in 6 to 12 months. In the long run its cheaper to go genuine.

Pollushon

Boost gives me a bar....
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS
I've had leads crap out brand new. It'll only take one to cause what you describe. Maybe pull out the plugs and have a look for leaning or fouling, and put a multi meter on the leads. What brand are they?

Brett_jjj

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
I wouldnt have much faith in what these coils read when tested with a multimeter. Ive seen them show to be ok on the multimeter, but still cause misfiring etc when used.

Pollushon

Boost gives me a bar....
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS
I wouldnt have much faith in what these coils read when tested with a multimeter. Ive seen them show to be ok on the multimeter, but still cause misfiring etc when used.

Leads I wrote, not coils, I agree with you on that one. But a high resistance faulty lead might not rear it's head til you load it up.

Brett_jjj

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
Leads I wrote, not coils, I agree with you on that one. But a high resistance faulty lead might not rear it's head til you load it up.

Sorry mate, I wasnt actually posting up anything about what you had posted, was just generally mentioning that checking these coils with a multimeter can be very misleading.
Ive found that after just 12 months these plug leads start to lose their "performance" and they start to go downhill until they get to a point where they fail. A new set makes a world of difference even after just 12 months or so.. I only use standard replacement leads as the more expensive ones crap out just as quick as the standard replacement ones. I think the high voltages these vehicles ignition systems run these days has a lot to do with it. Years ago with the old points and coil ignition setups, a set of leads would last for years.

ProbablyRaging

Drop Bass, Not Bombs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
Vroom Vroom Car
Were the 3 new coil packs genuine ones or cheaper aftermarket ones? Ive seen quite a few of these cheaper coils fail in 6 to 12 months. In the long run its cheaper to go genuine.

They were aftermarket ones. I did got for the more exspensive one though. I do have a spare genuine coil pack, might just test that on all three for a few days each and see if i can find out if any of the new ones are buggered.

I've had leads crap out brand new. It'll only take one to cause what you describe. Maybe pull out the plugs and have a look for leaning or fouling, and put a multi meter on the leads. What brand are they?

Alright, I will have to have to sus them out again. I really only checked the could and the plugs from lead to coil seeing as i thought the coils would have been my main problem.

So, if it isn't the leads or coil packs, what else might be causing the problem?

Cheers for the input