Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

spongy sound vh brakes

83vhsle

Reaction score
Members Ride
vh sle
hi i have a spongy sound when i apply the brakes in my vh it is a 4 wheel disk sle v8 i used a one man brake bleeder today i started from the longest line and worked around the car to the shortest i could see air coming out with the fluid in the clear hose of the bleeder so i kept going untill fluid only was coming out of the bleeder nipple i made sure the nipples were tight as i finished each one,,,,,,when the engine is off the pedal is very firm and no air sound is present when the car is running and i put the brakes on it still sounds spongy the brakes work well and the front tyres lock up if they are applied hard i would just like some thoughts on what you think is causing the spongy sound or how i can fix it thanks

Cheap6

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Exec
Maybe coming from the brake booster? Does the pedal feel alter with the engine off? You should get 3-4, maybe a few more, pedal presses after the engine is switched off before the booster vacuum is depleted and the pedal feel alters.

Sabbath'

Redblock Jesus
Reaction score
Members Ride
80 Series// VFII Black Edition
Yeap, Booster. Mine did the same thing.

83vhsle

Reaction score
Members Ride
vh sle
ok thanks guys ill look at getting another booster

Darren_L

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH SS
if the brakes work well, then the 'spongy' sound you are hearing is probably normal. If the booster was faulty then the brake pedal would be very hard and require a fair bit of effort to pull up the car (the same as switching the engine off). The booster vents vacuum when the brake pedal is depressed. So it's normal to hear a sound when you initially apply the brake pedal as long as it doesn't continue to make the noise with the brake pedal held on.

83vhsle

Reaction score
Members Ride
vh sle
darren you are totaly correct i have done some research and had it check by a mate that is a qualified mechanic and he told me the same thing thanks for the reply