Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

spools and track days

LSbally

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY ss ute
To those with experience driving track days with a spooled rear end, what are your thoughts? I've killed my LSD and looking into alternatives. The ute is hardly driven on road and what little amount it is i am happy to sacrifice a bit of drivability. I've owned welded/spooled cars before so know their characteristics on road but haven't had a chance to push them hard on a track to see how it reacts then.

Cheers for your input. Can we keep this discussion purely to those that have raced on a spooled diff too please.

Smitty

Reaction score
Members Ride
GenF SV340 R8 Tourer, VK race car, ZX12R
spool? track?
simple... hope you love understeer ! :p
and can catch the rear if you are on a damp or wet track

I took a tooth off the pinion at PI a few years ago in the racecar and when I rebuilt
the diff (with new gearset) fitted a ROMAC spool to replace the LSD (which worked fine with extra springs and shims)

It drives totally differently at speed. The rear now 'pushes' the front... doh! thats understeer :(
and requires a new approach to corners.

And if raining or the track is damp, things are interesting (remember I am on slicks or semis)

1 second after this shot, the rear snapped out and the photographer was looking at the rear of the car
why? .. notice the water running across the circuit. Fun times .... yes, I did catch the about to happen 'spin'

A3XVBQdx_o.jpg

lowandslow

Reaction score
Members Ride
V2 III Monaro
Stick to a TruTrac or something. Open when you need to turn and locks up when you lean on the loud pedal.
Or weld your diff and give it a go.

LSbally

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY ss ute
Stick to a TruTrac or something. Open when you need to turn and locks up when you lean on the loud pedal.
Or weld your diff and give it a go.
Obviously you havent read any of my post other than the first line. Weld an lsd... Trutrac or something.....
Your input was invaluable -_-

lowandslow

Reaction score
Members Ride
V2 III Monaro
Did you even bother to research a trutrac? Or do you need to be spoon fed that aswell?