Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Sport Steering wheel in vs Commodore

Alan Taylor

Reaction score
Members Ride
1996 VS Commodore
Hello everyone, I have a '96 vs commodore, the steering wheel is buggered. The car has no airbags. My question; Is it worth fitting a sports aftermarket steering wheel or should I buy a genuine holden one?

Thanks, Alan

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
I think you will find a sports wheel is not a legal fit in a VR on as they normally don't have a crash pad section in them, like the factory units do.

whiskeytango

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS SIII 5.0
Yeah they're not legal. Mine has had 3 roadies with an aftermarket one and no one has said anything in 3 different states. Been pulled over multiple times also and no cop has commented.
Just keep the old one to swap it back if someone has a whinge.
Also depends what you like. Probably a similar price between either.

ephect

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Acclaim V6
You can purchase pads that attach to the centre of aftermarket wheels, making them roadworthy.

We did this to an FTO after being knocked back

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
I have an SS wheel on my ute. I prefer it over an aftermarket sports wheel. Although price up an SS wheel, and you will find you can buy two brand new sports wheels including boss kit for the price of a SH SS one...

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
There are ADR compliant sports steering wheels available.....So if you wish to go down that path you can legally do so....

From memory Autobarn, sprints and Repco stock them......

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
I have an SS wheel on my ute. I prefer it over an aftermarket sports wheel. Although price up an SS wheel, and you will find you can buy two brand new sports wheels including boss kit for the price of a SH SS one...

I don't remember you paying too much for your spare SS wheel ;)

From memory, getting an ADR compliant sports steering wheel sets you back about $500 to $800....Can't remember the exact figure.....Then of course you have the boss kit on top of it.....

Not being up on the prices of the SS wheels, I will leave you be the judge of pricing....And of course, looks are a personal preference thing

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
I don't remember you paying too much for your spare SS wheel ;)

From memory, getting an ADR compliant sports steering wheel sets you back about $500 to $800....Can't remember the exact figure.....Then of course you have the boss kit on top of it.....

Not being up on the prices of the SS wheels, I will leave you be the judge of pricing....And of course, looks are a personal preference thing
https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/VN-GROU...m4db892ca92:g:I68AAOSw5EFfxX9F&frcectupt=true

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/VN-Grou...464063?hash=item289b9d38ff:g:cGIAAOSwdiFdJeBB

Of course I doubt anyone is paying these ridiculous prices.

keith reed

Reaction score
Members Ride
1983 vh v8 sle 2000 vs v8 ute 2012 ve11 redline