Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

sports exhaust??

oldmate

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs executive
I know bugger all about this, but can anyone let me know anything about sports exhausts on a vs commodore. I can apparently get one pretty cheap, the bloke i was talking to dropped words like 2.5" and extractors. I know what these are, but not much about how they affect the car. Will it just make the car sound better or wil it effect performance of your car, and fuel economy, and things like that. If you have any info on sports exhausts, please let me know.

HIROLLA

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS SIII CAPRICE
Hi mate

Extractors give more power and will also give the car a nice tough note when connected up to a 2.5" exhaust system.

Power gains can vary from 8-20 wheel kilowats depending on the type of system.

Do you know anything else? Such as if its a dual cat system or just the one or if the cat(s) are hiflowed?

How much is it setting you back?

oldmate

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs executive
$160 because the bloke owns the exhaust place. Looking at other posts of people who pay around $500, i'm assuming it is going to be a ptretty basic change, nothing too high quality.

shaggerz

Reaction score
Members Ride
2004 VY2 SV8 A4
I have heard of changing the pipe only to 2.5 inch leaving standard headers and cat and this could easily be that cheap if the guy owns the place. The change in sound will be much more noticable than the change in power, however.

Extractors improve the power at higher RPM. They basically remove the bottleneck that would have limited how much exhaust can pass through the standard headers.

Stupa

Reaction score
Members Ride
VU Storm
has anyone gone with just pipe from the cat back? I know it'd drone but has anyone done it ?

stocky

Reaction score
Members Ride
1995 HSV Clubsport T5, 1991 VN Berlina
Stupa said:
has anyone gone with just pipe from the cat back? I know it'd drone but has anyone done it ?

illegal/defective too

Spilly

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Acclaim
In my first car I put a straight through pipe on an old 202 VH SL/E. It went 2 1/4inch through to 2 1/2 over the diff and then into a flared 4inch through to the back. It sounded like a boat! I thought it sounded tuff at the time but looking back it created sooo much cabin noise! At most you should run at least one muffler because if you dont it will sound like you are driving the titanic and from experience will accelerate like it too!

Hope that helps!

Spilly