Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

sports suspension+sway bars vs. coilovers

mc.

Reaction score
Members Ride
ve berlina
Will sports shocks and springs + sway bars handle better than coilovers? I know that combo will end up being cheaper than coils but i'm not sure if it will necessarily be better. That being said, the car is pretty much only used as a daily so not too keen on spending big bucks if the difference is negligible.

TinSnips

Polish all the things...
Reaction score
Website
www.drivencolour.com.au
Members Ride
VF SSV Ute
Agreed. Over the top, considering that the only way coil overs will out perform a good spring/shock combo is when they're sourced from the upper end of the spectrum. For the money you'd spend on good quality coilovers, you could easily have your springs and shocks, as well as sway bars, urethane bushes, strut brace (if you want one) and enough pizza to see you through the NRL grand final tomorrow.

Also, I don't know about you, but I wouldn't be playing with the adjustment enough to make the money worthwhile. Spring/shock combos are strong enough to see you right for track days too, if that's your thing.

UFO

I Believe
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY10 VE International Sportwagon SIDI 3L
For a daily driver coilovers are over kill imo.

+1

coilovers will feel firmer/rougher on aussie roads, but in terms of real handling sway bars with sports springs will give you much better bang for your buck. a car with coilovers will still have body roll, and body roll is the enemy in cornering.
coilovers without other suspension components are a waste.
option a) good quality springs, sway bars, and bushes about $1000 installed.
option b) coilovers, OVER $2000 installed.

I'd take option a) every time and spend that $1000 (at least) you save on other go fast bits, because option b) with just coilovers will perform worse anyway and cost you more.
Unless I was building a track car and wasnt concerned about ride quality at all- in which case b) and then spend extra gettng the tuned suspension bits that actually allow you to use the coilovers exactly how they were intended to be used.
Mind you nothing like a full coilover setup in a COMPLETE suspension setup tuned to work together. Its like the car is on rails when cornering.

soop

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
2003 SS Commodore Series II
Sway bars to a totally different job to coil overs.

Sway bars stop the body pitching from side to side as you go through a corner, essentially holds the body more upright.

Coil overs do the same job as springs and struts, they generally have a MUCH higher spring and damp rate then average road going spings and shocks. Which means it will rattle the crap out of the chassis, probably cause cracks and so on.
And the really don't have any advantage on a road car as super low springs are as low as you can legally go anyway, so no need to adjust it.

vr1uz-fe

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
vr berlina
mmmm

coilover let you adjust ride hight

sway bars stop body roll

a good shock and a good spring with say bars will handle fine

coilovers need sway bars to if you want handiling

what you want if you after handiling is good shocks some lower springs that arnt too hard and some big sway bars

vr1uz-fe

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
vr berlina
but coilovers will improve handiling to a degree

UFO

I Believe
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY10 VE International Sportwagon SIDI 3L