Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

spot lights take 5 seconds to turn off

the_boozer

no more VK
Reaction score
Members Ride
hilux
I found a hilux with a set of kings led spot lights they are wired so the relay that supply's them is slaved off the high-beam wiring just plugs into the existing head light socket the issue is they take 5 seconds or so to turn off once the high beam is switched back to low beam.
I guess my first try will be to change the relay I to one with a diode on it ?
has anyone come across this issue before with led spot lights or light bars is it the relay latching what is the done thing to avoid this?

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
I'd say it's a faulty relay. Change it first and see what happens. That's the standard way to wire spotties. Power to relay, trigger switched from high beam and earth.

the_boozer

no more VK
Reaction score
Members Ride
hilux
As this done my head in for a while Ill update what I found it might help someone else one day or amuse the rest of you, after turning the spot lights on and off a few more times I noticed they would hold the relay on most of the time after they'd been on for a few minutes as the positive from the negative switching headlights allowed enough energy to feed back thru the high beam element to hold the relay coil in.
As I had another kings loom here I cut it open to see how they wired it, kings use a bridge rectifier in their wiring to isolate the high beam signal who ever put the spotlights on the lux didn't use the kings relay and lost the rectifier creating the relay latching problem.
kingsrelyblock1.png

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
If they had have been wired correctly using a negative switching arrangement through the relay, they would have worked correctly as well. I'm amazed they didn't come on when the headlights were off wired that way.

krusing

Well-Known Member, Possibly for the wrong reasons
Reaction score
Members Ride
2002 VY L67 Calais Sedan, 2012 VE L77 Calais Wagon
When wiring a Relay, sometimes is best to wire in a Diode across the Relay Coil,
[Remembering Diodes polarity sensitive]
That stops the "Back EMF" of the coil, as it should fix the issue of holding the coil energised when switched off.

VYCommodore76

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Commy
When wiring a Relay, sometimes is best to wire in a Diode across the Relay Coil,
[Remembering Diodes polarity sensitive]
That stops the "Back EMF" of the coil, as it should fix the issue of holding the coil energised when switched off.
I only bother with a diode if using a microcontroller to switch the relay.

the_boozer

no more VK
Reaction score
Members Ride
hilux
I'm amazed they didn't come on when the headlights were off wired that way
the main headlight supply was switched by the headlight was why they didn't in the case of the ole hilux not enough current must be allowed thru the hi beam element to pull the relay in but enough to hold it in does flow I think is whats happening. think of the hi beam element in series with the relay coil. The relay with a diode cross the coil didn't help. Of course the owner of the car swore it used to work for the first 1 year he had the car.