Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Spotlights fitted to a VY

G

grunt-350

Hi All

Can someone supply details on how to wire in spot lights to a VY?. I am having problems finding the coloured wire that supplies high beam.

Regards

ssute57l

Reaction score
Members Ride
VYII SS UTE
They switch an earth, the easiest way to do it would be to use the two outer terminals of the h4 globe to trigger a relay, if you want to put a switch inline, you have to break one of the lines and run it to a switch inside the cab

Run a 6mm cable from the batt +ive via a 30 amp fuse to pin no 30 on the relay.

run two wires (or one 6mm and then split into two 4mm) from pin 87 on the relay to the spotlight for the posative and the earths to a good earth point.

Tap into the two outside pins of the head lights and wire these to pin 85 and 86 of the relay, if you want and should have a isolation switch inside break either the wires to pin 85 or 86.

Using twin core from the relay to switch and back again would be easy.

OzRod

Reaction score
Members Ride
VB SL bog stock
A bit late I know, but thanks a heap ssute57l

kopper69

Reaction score
Members Ride
VRII Acclaim
Run a 6mm cable from the batt +ive via a 30 amp fuse to pin no 30 on the relay.

I know there is a spike when you turn the lights on, but would you really recommend a 30A fuse? Definatly sounds excessive, potentially dangerous.

30A @ 12V is 360 watts
30A @ 13.8V is 414 watts

Even if both spotties were 100 watt, totaling 200 watts, you should only be using about 15A, so a 20A should definatly be enough. Start low and work up.

Last edited: