Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

spoungy brakes

kniever

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY II Calais L67 & VN II Calais T5 5ltr
the reason it goes spongy is cos air compresses where as the brake fluid does not compress

graham7773

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Acclaim Wagon
Have you had your brake system fluid changed? Recommended every 12 months by all car manufacturers esp Holden. Very few people get it done. Makes a marked improvement to your brakes.

wortus

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Series 2 25th Anniversary in Phantom Mica
As Graham said get your brakes bled. I just had my VY done, only cost me $53 and I just did our Pulsar myself, it was really dark and some air bubbles came out. I don't think it had been done in ages. I usually have the brake fluid replaced at 24 months max. If you do it yourelf suck out the old fluid and muck from the master cylinder with a syringe and refill with new fluid before you start as it helps prevent that going into the master cylinder.

MR_VX

Forced to be Fast
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX S pac SII Raptorcharged
Have you had your brake system fluid changed? Recommended every 12 months by all car manufacturers esp Holden. Very few people get it done. Makes a marked improvement to your brakes.

Ive had the car 4 years and i havent done it once, I was never sure when to replace it

As Graham said get your brakes bled. I just had my VY done, only cost me $53 and I just did our Pulsar myself, it was really dark and some air bubbles came out. I don't think it had been done in ages. I usually have the brake fluid replaced at 24 months max. If you do it yourelf suck out the old fluid and muck from the master cylinder with a syringe and refill with new fluid before you start as it helps prevent that going into the master cylinder.

was that $53 at Holden?

wortus

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ive had the car 4 years and i havent done it once, I was never sure when to replace it

was that $53 at Holden?

No at a local mechanic. I wouldn't even bother going to Holden it would have cost over $100 easy. I did our other car, a Pulsar last week myself it cost $20 for 2 bottles of brake fluid, fairly easy to do with a mate to work the pedal.

MR_VX

Forced to be Fast
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX S pac SII Raptorcharged
arr righto, ill give it ago on the weekend, is there a certin type of brake fluid to get or are they all the same ****?

graham7773

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Acclaim Wagon
Any brand DOT 4 is equivalent to Holdens HN1796

wortus

Reaction score
Members Ride
I usually buy Nulon DOT4, this is what I used in the Pulsar the other day. Do you know how to do it yourself?