Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Spray painting parts for rust protection

outlander

Reaction score
Members Ride
commodore 95 VS
Hiyall

What paint is good, easy and cheap to use on parts? I've been doing some suspension work, and things like the lower control arm are looking a little rusted. I'd like to give to give them a touch up to stop them rusting any further, but the most I know about spray paint is to stay away from the $2 cans.

What is the best option that you can get from a place like SCA? It won't be seen so I don't want to spend too much but it needs to last

H

harrop.senator

If it needs to last really you want to use a gun but honestly the sca gun paints not that strong i use the 1k acrylic a lot but always clear with 2k. Maybe see if they have some direct gloss enamel thats not export.

Dayvo

Because i can
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 Series 2
You could use rustguard epoxy enamel from Bunnings . Various colors in spray cans

Bigfella237

Reaction score
Members Ride
More cars than I've got space to park!
If you're looking for rust protection you can't go past either KBS or POR15, they dry hard as a rock and will last for decades if applied correctly.

greenacc

Searching for the billion
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
Yes but POR15 ain't at all cheap..
Depends if you want it to last 5 years or 25.

outlander

Reaction score
Members Ride
commodore 95 VS
I'm weighing it up. This isn't a space shuttle, so I shouldn't be doing everything perfectly, but in the past I've skipped things that aren't essential and ended up paying for it later. That's behaviour I'm trying to get away from, without going too far the other way. 5 years seems pretty good to me, probably need to do something with that area again by that time anyway.

outlander

Reaction score
Members Ride
commodore 95 VS
This should be funny. I have a bunch of small tins of rustguard, in white, blue and green. None of them big enough for all the parts, so I guess we are mixing and matching

outlander

Reaction score
Members Ride
commodore 95 VS
Talked to a guy at autobarn. He recommended that first I brush down parts with a wire brush - this removes any flakey or loose pieces.
Spray it heavily with brake cleaner to clean off any dust
Next, hit it with a combination rust converter/primer like this https://www.autobarn.com.au/motospray-rust-converter-primer-sealer-250-prc250-rc250
That will seal the surface to some degree. After that, it can be left as is for light protection, or painted for heavier protection

Sounds like solid advice

VR38

Reaction score
Members Ride
VB SL/E
Preparation is key to any lasting finish.