Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Spraying Acrylic

tufwgz

Reaction score
Members Ride
VK Wagon
Hi guys, have a simple question to ask before i start spraying my car. I am sparying acrlyic, using a 1.8mm HVLP gun, just want to know what is a general pressure setting...if someone could tell me what CFM/BAR/PSI i should set everything to....i know it's probably a trial and error thing until i feel it is spraying right, but just want to know if there's a rule of thumb or a general speaking setting...cheers.

acarmody

Donati..Whoa Green
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Berlina
Have you read the spray gun's manual?

tufwgz

Reaction score
Members Ride
VK Wagon
nah havent yet as i'm waiting for it to be delivered...but that's a good idea (feel like a dumb **** now).....so the manual will bascially tell me the minimums to set it all at right? i'm assuming anyway....

acarmody

Donati..Whoa Green
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Berlina
It will give you a fairly good estimate as to what it should be, but at the end of the day, a little tinkering with the settings will set you right.

If your all hyped up about your purchase and you want to know now (I get like this all the time with new toys) then check the manufacturers website, it should have all the info there for you.

tufwgz

Reaction score
Members Ride
VK Wagon
Haha yeah that's exactly how i am....this car has been my very first project and it's pretty much a bare metal resto and i'm very anal about things not being prefect, and i always like to be ready before i start doing something, and knowledge of the spray gun is where i am at now....i will have a look at the manufactures website, i think i did see something on there when i was browsing.

Thanks heaps!

Jonno

:)
Reaction score
Members Ride
;)
hey man jsut go on a wall of the shed or old pannel and just spay away and play with the settings :)

tufwgz

Reaction score
Members Ride
VK Wagon
yeh i'll do that too! i love tinkering with new toys haha.....yeah shouldn't take me long to get it right, well i'm hoping so anyway, thanks guys..

acarmody

Donati..Whoa Green
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Berlina
Its like reading about a Victorian version of myself.

When I got my air compressor I spent about 3 hours playing around with it, there are only so many ways to play with a compressor but I found every way and did it 400 times. Can't quite work out why I thought playing with a blow gun for 30 minutes was fun, but it was. Also changed the oil about 4 times and even put diesel in there overnight to clean it out, that's how anal I was about it.

ari666

250,000 hits
Reaction score
Members Ride
1966 impala, R32 GTR

tufwgz

Reaction score
Members Ride
VK Wagon
yes i have been told that 1.8 is big, but then they ask what type of paint i'm suign and when i say acrylic, then they sya oh yeh that's not a problem then. One of my close friends owns a panel beating/spray business, and he said 1.8m is a good size becasue you can use it for almost anything (except 2 pak her said), he said i will be able to spray my etch primer, primer/surfacers, topcotes and clears through that needle....

either way, if something goes wrong and i do end up getting peel (which isn's a bad thing anyway), the next time i do a spray, i will know not what to do, trial and error is the key in my eyes...