Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Spreading rear caliper

woteva

NEED 4 SPEED
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE2 Sportwagon - VR2 V6 ecotec Wag - VS2 V6 Wag
I always like to flush and bleed the brakes when changing pads. It was always something we did when working with mechanics many years ago.

Saying that, at my last workplace we took one of our out of warranty Toyota Hilux 2wd to the mechanics shop 2 doors down for service and brake pads. They ended up not finishing the job that day and said the master cylinder was stuffed and replaced it the next day.
Now I know what they most likely did:oops:

vs-lover

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS S2 Calais, VS S2 Exec Wagon, VS S2 Acclaim
Oh, by the way, I might have misinterpreted your post, but to me, it was offensive.

I would've expected anything less, look at how you criticised my original post that I spent considerable time to write up as a procedure.........and btw some people do appreciate that.

Oh and yes I do agree with your point of some of the so-called experts are just in it for the money and not for the correct procedure that should be followed.

If you were part of the "Society of Automotive Engineers Australiasia" you'd know that back pressuring a MC is a big No No.

Last edited:

Calaber

Nil Bastardo Carborundum
Reaction score
Members Ride
CG Captiva 5 Series 2
If you reckon I was tearing people down. Piss off.

Last edited by a moderator:

vs-lover

Reaction score
Members Ride
and you drive a Captiva, now that says it all doesn't it.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Hi JA,

There is no twisting whatsoever utilised in Holden Calipers.
There are some Holdens that have the twist rear caliper piston, but its an Astra so yeah not really Holden.

vs-lover

Reaction score
Members Ride
Hi Losh,

You're correct, but yes I don't consider them as Holden's as they are full of European engineering due to them being Opels.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
I've pretty much always just pushed them back with a clamp and not normally undone the bleeder. I have once or twice come across a stiff one that needed the screw undone. If it was ABS don't like the idea of potentially pushing air or fluid back into the pump.

lowandslow

Reaction score
Members Ride
V2 III Monaro
Cruzes also use the stupid twisting rear pistons. Took me a few choice words, a bigger clamp and a trip to youtube to figure it out!

vs-lover

Reaction score
Members Ride
LOL !! and there's another non Holden vehicle (Daewoo) that none of us would like to discuss. Maybe one day there'll be a site dedicated to the Opel's and Daewoo's etc. That'll be a sad day though and nothing but doom and gloom to talk about there apart from a call to Lifeline.

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
I can tell that you use Penrite ?
Putting your satire aside, i use whatever brake fluid is on sale and specified for use on my vehicle by ots manufacturer. I have no brand loyalty. I also dislike unqualified or unproven marketing rubbish often placed on product packaging which is simply intended to convince the gullible a product is better than their competitors productsd. Basically I do my research.

Oh, and I much prefer documented and clearly specified processes as is the case in factory workshop manuals.

On that point, within the VF workshop manual, oddly there is no requirement to clamp brake hoses or open bleeder valves before pushing back brake pistons. There is simply no mention of this master cylinder seal reversion risk. So if you have some "Society of Automotive Engineers Australiasia" documentation that points to hydraulic back presure causing master cylinder seal reversion, and what steps should be taken to avoid it, please post it as i'd love to read it. May even have a word to Holden about their inaccurate workshop manual in that case.