Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Spring Manufacturers i.e. King's vs Lovells vs Pedders

HamaTime™

VIP Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
C Class AMG
Ok for a while I thought that King Springs were some of the best springs on the market. However, I went out with a mate to pick up a new door for his VX, and the guy selling the door who owns a VS Senator (and is a mechanic with quite a handful of nice cars stashed away - VX SS, VT SS, VS SS etc and now Senator) said that King Springs are really bad as they just make the car ride really badly.

He was saying that Lovells are the best and that pedder's are crap as well...

I'm still deciding on whether or not to lower my VS S from FE2 to Super lows on front and rear (IRS) and was originally going to go with King's but now I'm not too sure. FE2 makes my car ride really roughly, feel every bump and it's just absolutely rock hard (also running 18" VT GTS rims).

What are some opinions on different spring brands i.e. King Springs, Lovells, Pedders etc, and is there any way that by lowering it from FE2 to Super lows I can ease up the ride a little so it's not quite so rock hard?

may be a stupid question, but always good to get some wider opinions and knowledge.

VPplayer

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Exec
Everyone i know is useing King Springs and they work a treat. I have never herd bad things about Kind Springs and hopefully i never do... Buying a set next week :p

Philthy

That dent guy
Reaction score
Website
www.qbdentfree.com.au
Members Ride
3.0R Liberty, XC Falcon
Every car with king springs that I've been in has been quite a harsh ride.
From jumping straight out of mine (pedders sport lows & shocks) into a VR with king springs SL & standard shocks, the ride was about the same, but mine felt like it held the road better around the tighter corners. Of course tyres would also effect this.
Only car with Lovells that I've been in was an EFish falcon, and it seemed smoother than the others, but I couldn't tell you what springs they were, and I did have a few to drink beforehand (hence getting a ride in a falcon)

tivoom

pimpin pizza wagon
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR S2 Wagon
Lovells sag and are a softer spec then kings and pedders every kings car I've been in is to harsh I liked the ride pedders gave in my vt wagon is was just right firm but not hard and harsh

Morton

For external use only
Reaction score
Members Ride
Fairstar the Funship
Lovells aren't "softer springs". You can buy progressive rate or linear springs, depending on what you want. I have a set of thick Lovells for the back of my VQ that ride the same height, but slightly more firmly as my King springs.

Oh, and if you want to talk about coil sag, you should check out the Kings in the FRONT of my VQ :p

If you want your car to handle, save up and buy yourself Bilstein springs and shocks. You'll never look back.

At the end of the day, you don't want the ride to be super-stiff. You want the springs to hold the car low, but still absorb bumps - and use swaybars to stop the car rolling in corners, and good shocks to stop the car losing grip in corners.

Dan355

Go THE SS's
Reaction score
Members Ride
Street Legal 355ci VN SS - Daily: VP SS
I just went through a set of Lovells and Pedders springs for the front of my VN SS to correct exhaust to ground clearance but wasnt happy at all with the ride quality of either. Lovells were too soft and wernt trapping properly and the pedders springs were too firm and didnt raise the car high enough. Got fed up so got a pair of springs made to order for height to the mm and chose ride quality. For $170 a pair couldnt complain at all. Excellent springs. If you dont know what your buying why buy it?
A U R O R A   S P R I N G S - coil - leaf springs

HamaTime™

VIP Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
C Class AMG
Yeah I want it to be low but also to absorb bumps and hold the road. I don't want it to be as firm as FE2, particularly because FE2 on mine looks like its a FWD and its super super stiff

WogBoyz

435rkw/590rwhp
Reaction score
Members Ride
08 VE SSV M6 Ute
i got pedders springs on my ute and its a really good ride i though it would be rough but has been very smooth ride, its more smoother then it was at stock heigh , im impressed

HamaTime™

VIP Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
C Class AMG
Not as firm as FE2? They are softer than most low aftermarket cars I've been in

Yeah it's surprising I know. but my VS rides hard and stiff...feel every bump. It holds the road really good though..just pisses me off cos I'm not always driving on the smoothest of roads.