Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Springs Shocks and Whatnots

Mattde

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Executive S1
Ok so this post is mostly for helping educate myself.

Problem: My Vx currently sits stock ride height.
Solution: Drop it.

So, to do this im assuming the first step is to get springs changed.
How much is it usually and is this an easy DIY job?
not sure exactly what height i want it yet but i want it balanced so the ride height is
parallel with the road. Will this involve getting more than just springs? (keep in mind i know nothing so if you can explain parts involved, what i need, what each part does that would be great too)

I'm also unsure of the ride height legalities and what springs would get me pulled up over it.
As far as i know it needs to be at least a coke can? so maybe a bit lower would be nice :p

yeh so if anyone can explain to me all the stuff involved that would be sweet cos i know jack-all about this sorta stuff and am happy to learn :)

GEN3RATD

100% Teflon
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Maloo
ill start off by saying good on you, got the right attitude. too many times ive seen people say that they want SSSSSSSSSSSSSSL's but they want cops to leave them alone and not get defected.

so actually doing it, its not too hard to do yourself if youve got basic tools. somewhere on here there is probably a how-to on it, otherwise a lot of members have done it before. just set aside a saturday and take your time.

as for the springs, 100mm from the lowest point of the car excluding wheels and mudflaps (usually the exhaust) is the "legal limit". i use quotations because every cop seems to have a different idea, and it doesnt matter to them if your fully sik skyline is sitting on da legal limit. so as long as you know that, we can get your car sitting at a "nice" height :p

Most people go for king springs, or lovells. I know GSL rallysport do a kit with kings and KYB shocks, its a good idea if funds allow to change your shocks too but it isnt necessary. Kings use 4 lowered sizes:

L's (lows) - 1 inch lower
SL's (superlows) - 2 inches lower
SSL's (ultralows) - 3 inches lower
SSSL's - 4 inches lower

SL's seem to be a popular height, i personally love SSL's. sits soo staunch, can still clear speedbumps with the right technique, and while they are slightly below the legal limit i never got defected for them. people think SL's are legal but from my experience (in WA anyway) the measurements are done with all seating positions filled, and all the cars ive seen with SL's have sat under the legal limit with 5 80kg blokes sitting in it. So just go SSL's all round, oh and dont go SL front SSL rears, the invisable caravan look is gay. With SSL's my car sat dead level with a full tank of juice, heres a pic:

Mattde

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Executive S1
ill start off by saying good on you, got the right attitude. too many times ive seen people say that they want SSSSSSSSSSSSSSL's but they want cops to leave them alone and not get defected.

so actually doing it, its not too hard to do yourself if youve got basic tools. somewhere on here there is probably a how-to on it, otherwise a lot of members have done it before. just set aside a saturday and take your time.

as for the springs, 100mm from the lowest point of the car excluding wheels and mudflaps (usually the exhaust) is the "legal limit". i use quotations because every cop seems to have a different idea, and it doesnt matter to them if your fully sik skyline is sitting on da legal limit. so as long as you know that, we can get your car sitting at a "nice" height :p

Most people go for king springs, or lovells. I know GSL rallysport do a kit with kings and KYB shocks, its a good idea if funds allow to change your shocks too but it isnt necessary. Kings use 4 lowered sizes:

L's (lows) - 1 inch lower
SL's (superlows) - 2 inches lower
SSL's (ultralows) - 3 inches lower
SSSL's - 4 inches lower

SL's seem to be a popular height, i personally love SSL's. sits soo staunch, can still clear speedbumps with the right technique, and while they are slightly below the legal limit i never got defected for them. people think SL's are legal but from my experience (in WA anyway) the measurements are done with all seating positions filled, and all the cars ive seen with SL's have sat under the legal limit with 5 80kg blokes sitting in it. So just go SSL's all round, oh and dont go SL front SSL rears, the invisable caravan look is gay. With SSL's my car sat dead level with a full tank of juice, heres a pic:

Dude, SOLID reply. thats exactly what i was looking for.
i think I might go with the SSL's all round. if i WAS to go unbalanced id prefer to make the front lower as i just
see that as being much more logical especially with downforce etc (not that it makes much difference on the street)

yours sits pretty damn nice and is almost exactly what im looking for. its that "just legal" sorta look.
Iv still got stock wheels unfortunately as im quite hard pressed for budget and anything upto $400 ish bucks is rough for me cos i SUCK at saving since im on a monthly wage. gahh.

So how much (max) would i be looking at paying if i was to get myself SSL's and fit them myself? and how low can you go without having to replace other parts and just do springs?

GEN3RATD

100% Teflon
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Maloo
assuming you have or have access to tools ask around with your mates, sets of lowered springs change hands every week in my area, usually around $100-$150 for a set.

otherwise either :

VT VX VY VZ V8 Commodore Sedan Ultralow King Springs | eBay

or contact GSL rallysport on here for a quote.

to answer the second question, i had SSL's on stock shocks for ages. there seems to be 2 schools of thought on this forum, either "lower then SL's and you NEED aftermarket shocks, otherwise your car will spontaniously combust and many puppies will be killed in the explosion" or "my car isnt an R34 GTR, im not expecting SSL's to give me the epitome of performance handling, so stock shocks will be fine". I personally found the ride comfort fine, but then again ive never not owned a slammed car, maybe i was used to it. but still, if you budget allows your old shocks are as old as the hills and it isnt a bad idea to replace them.

you may need to look into a camber kit though, so just keep that in mind

Mattde

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Executive S1
so as far as i know (as the thrid owner of the car)
the shocks as as old as the car is... so im not sure how much of a good idea it is to go too low...
"camber kit".... evaluate? (assuming that "camber" is a completely new word to my vocab lol)
Shocks are the most costly part correct?

ps. if u see any SSL's for cheeepz around pm me or something cos im always on the lookout for bargain deals haha

GEN3RATD

100% Teflon
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Maloo
SSL's will be fine. they are low but by no means slammed.

when your car is at the height it is now, looking from behind, the wheels should look like this | |
so the full tread of the tyres come into contact with the road.

when you lower a car (commodore mainly haha) the wheels dial in what we call negative camber, which looking from the bum end of the car it now sits like this / \

so in other words, the tops of the wheels are pointing in, the bottom of the wheels flared out.
this causes uneven tyre wear, because now the inside part of the tyre is the only bit coming into contact with the road. less grip, intense tyre wear.

so a camber kit helps (doesnt solve, but helps) your apperent camber issue, and helps your tyres wear a bit better.

Mattde

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Executive S1
oh right yeh now i understand. i have heard and understood the word before but completely blanked out
when you paired the word up withe the word "kits" for some strange reason.
ahh why is making a sexy car so goddamn pricey! haha

have you fitted camber adjustments to yours?
im guessing anything lower than SL prob requires it?

GEN3RATD

100% Teflon
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Maloo
i did one on mine but it did fk all because i have a VXII with the extra link in the rear, i already had no camber, even bagged like it is now it pulls hardly any camber

id low it first and gauge because every car is different

Killr6

tutut
Reaction score
Members Ride
BA XR6T
oh right yeh now i understand. i have heard and understood the word before but completely blanked out
when you paired the word up withe the word "kits" for some strange reason.
ahh why is making a sexy car so goddamn pricey! haha

have you fitted camber adjustments to yours?
im guessing anything lower than SL prob requires it?

doesn't really have to be pricey there are alot of positive things that do come from lowering a car, looks and handling etc.

but look into something like this, (this was just a quick search for ya)

Holden Commodore VT/Calais,Monroe Gas Shocks & King Springs Complete KIT 2 Inchs | eBay

GEN3RATD

100% Teflon
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Maloo
doesn't really have to be pricey there are alot of positive things that do come from lowering a car, looks and handling etc.

I personally disagree with this statement

SSL king springs don't improve handling. If anything they make it worse.

"lowered centre of gravity" and "stiffer spring rates" is just penis, it's for looks only.

Want handling? DMS coilovers, all bushes swapped, swaybars, strutbraces, etc. Not much change from 6k I'd presume.