Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Sq subs

Nuddy989

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV
Hey All

I'm going to be putting some new subs into my VE. I am a very big big fan of alpine subs as I use to have 2 alpine type R's in my XR6 and boy did they bump. That being said I want something that is a little bit better quality. but still has the same depth and volume just without the rolling bass.

I kind want bass that you would get in a night club, like you can feel it is tight and clean and no bass rolling.

I'm thinking about 2 alpine type x 10" and putting a rockford amp that can power 1200+rms @ 1ohm stable.

What is everyones thoughts on this, has anyone heard these compared to the rockford power series or focal or JL audio??

I want something that is loud but also quality, I don't want window shattering loudness but around the same as what i had with the 2 type R's, basically them but better quality lol

StoneX

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Calais-V 6.0L
Image Dynamics IDMax are a step above all the others you mentioned. They will be louder than your Type R's and several steps above in SQ.

Nuddy989

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV
Thanks for that StoneX I had a bit of a look and a lot of people saying these are almost identical to an alpine 10 type x in terms of how they sound and volume terms. as I can get type X at a good price I think this might be a better option? I wan't two 10's because I want a bit more volume then what i've got now (1 type R 12, I sold the other)

Zend3r

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Berlina
I recently installed a Focal 11" subwoofer into my car powered by a 300w Pioneer amp. Whilst I intended this to be a temp sub, it certainly has a lot of guts. Don't let the low wattage fool you, it has a lot of thump.

It is one of the cleanest subs I've heard and extremely precise. Comparing it to my housemates 12" X-Type I would put in well above in terms of SQ, although it can't compete for SPL. I daresay the 13" will have a lot more guts.

That being said, I'm a bit of a Focal fanboy, so I'm sure there'll be other suggestions out there!

sweefu

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Berlina V6 / R31 Skyline
Thanks for that StoneX I had a bit of a look and a lot of people saying these are almost identical to an alpine 10 type x in terms of how they sound and volume terms. as I can get type X at a good price I think this might be a better option? I wan't two 10's because I want a bit more volume then what i've got now (1 type R 12, I sold the other)

Who has said an IDMax is the same as a 10" Type-X?? They are very wrong. As StoneX said, the IDMax is miles ahead in all areas.

StoneX

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Calais-V 6.0L
IDMax 12" - Cone area is 388cm2 and one way linear Xmax is 24.6mm
Alpine Type X - Cone area is 360cm2 and one way linear Xmax is 19mm

It's impossible for the Alpine to move as much air (be as loud) as an IDMax.

I'd buy 12's but the 10's will still be loud.

Nuddy989

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV
I recently installed a Focal 11" subwoofer into my car powered by a 300w Pioneer amp. Whilst I intended this to be a temp sub, it certainly has a lot of guts. Don't let the low wattage fool you, it has a lot of thump.

It is one of the cleanest subs I've heard and extremely precise. Comparing it to my housemates 12" X-Type I would put in well above in terms of SQ, although it can't compete for SPL. I daresay the 13" will have a lot more guts.

That being said, I'm a bit of a Focal fanboy, so I'm sure there'll be other suggestions out there!

Hey I've heard good things about focal subs, I can get a pair of the 13" 33KX ones for $1400 one is brand new, the other only just broken in. I'm yet to hear them in a car. but i have heard the 11" ones in the back of the lancer and they won't be loud enough thanks for the reply though.

I think I'm going to look into this IDMax, where is a good place to get them from?

im like one of those cockhead customers that wants to know the products inside out before making a purchase lol

MAG00

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY S2 Calais
Is there a particular reason why you only want 10" subs? Is it due to a lack of space? Do you believe the common myth that 10" subs are automatically "punchier" than 12" subs?

I would recommend one 12" sub over the two 10"s. Unless you are aiming for symmetry with two, adding another only makes a ~3db change to the overall volume, which in my opinion is not worth it. I feel you will be better off getting one 12" sub.

The Image Dynamics IDMAX is a highly regarded SQL (Sound Quality + Sound Pressure Level) subwoofer, would definitely be on my short list.

Other highly regarded options include:
Image Dynamics IDQ (Baby brother of IDMAX, more SQ based than SPL)
Morel Ultimo (Plays low frequencies comfortably, very nice subwoofer)/ Ultimo SC (Baby brother of the Ultimo, still very good)
Focal 33WX2 (Very musical subwoofer, goes quite loud as well)
Polk SR124 (Comparable to Ultimos)

There's many to choose from, it is definitely recommended that you test them out before purchase.

This was also recently discussed on the MEA forum, have a look at this thread for more subs and opinions.

Also I'm glad to see a sound quality based thread around here, top stuff :beer chug:

MAG00

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY S2 Calais
Also, what are you powering them with? Do you actually have that Rockford amp or will you need an amp as well?