Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Sq subs

Nuddy989

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV
I was thinking of going with a rockford amp because i've had rockford amps in the past (p2 400) the 200 rms per channel p2 amp from like 8 years go cost like 450us to buy. it was in my mazda then went to my falcon and was in the falcon when I sold it. a very nice amp.

I do not currently have an amp for them. I'm very open minded to amps as to be honest my preference of amps is either rockford or alpine. I've heard good things about Hifonics and DLS amps also. I will also need a cap

The reason i'm opting for 2 subs over 1 is because of the air they move. while having the two type r's was not that much louder then 1 the bass felt a lot cleaner, deeper and harder hitting. (there was more vibration and pressure in the cabin) which is what I want.

I've been doing a lot of reading and I think what I'm going to do is put the IDMax 12" subs in my boot two of them, along with a suitable amp. I'm also going to be replacing my front speakers with Morel Dotech ovation 6 and an amp to power those. I will then be replacing the rear door speakers with coaxials and running these off the head unit and the money i save by doing this i will buy an audio processor. Disconnecting the center speaker and the 2 parcel shelf speakers.

I also want to dynamat the boot and doors ( I will be doing this myself) and then having a professional install done in the boot as I still wan't access to my spare tire

Nuddy989

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV
That being said I didn't realize the ultimo's were 1000rms. I think I would get away with 1 of those :)

Big_Simmo

Deep Blue Cranberry
Reaction score
Members Ride
2016 Series 2 SSV Redline Ute
I used to have 2x 12" subs in my vy and that was insanely loud bass, Im now runnig 2x 10" rockford subs in my stato, the bass is not as loud but I seem to find that it is a crisper sound rather than just shitloads of bass.

Also found that the 10s fit in perfectly under the rear shelf in the stock box they come in unlike 12s which would involve a custom box as most stock ones sit higher than the rear shelf, im just too lazy to create things in my old age nowadays :p

StoneX

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Calais-V 6.0L
That being said I didn't realize the ultimo's were 1000rms. I think I would get away with 1 of those :)
I'm not sure what you mean by that but the power rating doesn't indicate how loud they will get.

Also, you won't NEED a cap if your wiring is done properly.

Nuddy989

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV
caps help to prevent distortion due to lack of available amps? I could be entirely wrong there haha.

I Figured the more RMS the speaker can handle the louder it will go? I'm still novice to this as you can tell and that's why I'm asking for help :)

I haven't actually been able to get a price on the IDMax subs so I don't know what to expect in terms of price. I'm also still undecided on amps as it really depends what sub I go for

sweefu

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Berlina V6 / R31 Skyline
caps help to prevent distortion due to lack of available amps? I could be entirely wrong there haha.

I Figured the more RMS the speaker can handle the louder it will go? I'm still novice to this as you can tell and that's why I'm asking for help :)

I haven't actually been able to get a price on the IDMax subs so I don't know what to expect in terms of price. I'm also still undecided on amps as it really depends what sub I go for

First statement I don't really understand

Secondly not really, with good speakers the rated power input isn't overly important, a quality well built speaker will handle power; simple as that. I have some SB Acoustics SB17 midwoofers in my car rated at 60wrms, they have been given 150wrms for some time now without any problems, similar story with my subs and tweeters.

Image Dynamics IDMAX 12" RRP is $799 I think?

m1lky

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS
Caps do absolutely nothing expect look pretty. Don't waste your money.

If you need to take out voltage drops, get larger wire. Your amp will already have decoupling capacitors on the input. Magnitudes smaller than the farad ones you buy.

Nuddy989

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV
Well after doing some research this is what I'm going with :)

Head Unit: I'm either going to install the alpine audio processor + control unit or go with the facia + hu kit from alpine.

Front speakers: Morel Dotech Ovation 6

Rear Speakers: Morel Integra Ovation

Subs : 2 x IDMax 12"

Amps: I'm still undecided on the amps. The rear speakers are just there for fill and the alpine HU will be fine at powering them in the back. The Front speakers I will want 150rms per channel and the subs I will want at least 700RMS each so still need to do a lot of research on all of this part of things.

what are you audiophiles thoughts on this?

Fun_Bucket

Reaction score
Members Ride
Cruze II sri
Thoughts are ditch the rear speakers, and go for a sub with more surface area as aposed to using two 12's.

m1lky

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS
Should be pretty sweet. Sorry I probably missed it but which alpine processor are you going for?

As above the rears are optional.

Have you considered running your fronts active? The processor should let you do it and with x-over and slope options for your mids and tweets you can tune it for day's.

I had an active setup running off an infinity 4 channel amp (4x120wrms) and it was perfect.

Will you be sound deadening the car? Front doors make an amazing difference to mid bass.