Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

sqeeky fan belt

slappa.

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS
i thought there would be a fair bit of info already but i couldnt find any....my fan belt has started to sqeek when she starts cold. can someone please tell me how to fix it or a link to something, cause i found nuttin.

thanks

hako

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS11 BT1 V6
You can get a spray to spray on the belt but it can make a bit of a mess. Another method is to rub some chalk over the pulleys but this is also messy. The serpentine belt should really not make any noise - are you sure it is not one of the idler pulley bearings running dry?

yZoH

//There Ain't No Rest For The Wicked...
Reaction score
Website
www.lolwut.com
Members Ride
(0.o')
Get a can of Aerosol Belt Dressing!

It's also a plastic/rubber rejuvinator. It's what I've been using for the last 2 years to clean my engine bay. :) Keeps it nice an shiney.

Cheers
MaT

253@7k

300rwhp supra. yay.
Reaction score
Members Ride
TT Supra/HZ Ute.
Try tightening the belt. Failing that, as mentioned above, get a can of belt grip or belt dressing.

Scooter79

Reaction score
Members Ride
VSII Calais supercharged
slundy said:
Try tightening the belt. Failing that, as mentioned above, get a can of belt grip or belt dressing.

I didn't think it was possible to tighten the belt. I thought the Idler pully was self tensioning. Had a similar problem with a squeeky belt after some mechanical work and the mech gave the engine a full degrees. Made the belt dry and squeak like you wouldn't believe. A can of good ol' silicone spray on the belt while running fixed it in a second.:thumbsup:

holden007

VRII
Reaction score
Members Ride
Subaru Liberty
Spray some WD-40 on the belt while the cars running, that should stop the sound.

Also if it doesn't stop, you might have a water pump going soon, mine was sqeeky, sprayed WD-40 and didn't stop, had a good listen and the water pump was making the noise, its failed couple of weeks later.

253@7k

300rwhp supra. yay.
Reaction score
Members Ride
TT Supra/HZ Ute.
Scooter79 said:
I didn't think it was possible to tighten the belt. I thought the Idler pully was self tensioning. Had a similar problem with a squeeky belt after some mechanical work and the mech gave the engine a full degrees. Made the belt dry and squeak like you wouldn't believe. A can of good ol' silicone spray on the belt while running fixed it in a second.:thumbsup:

Hmm true. Damn this new fangled cods whallop.

Avi8or

Luxo-barging
Reaction score
Members Ride
WM Caprice 6L
I'm also getting a squeek, although I'm not sure if its the belt or the pulley. The picture below shows where I think it might be coming from, though I cant really tell all that well.

Attachments

• P08-23-06_15.38640x480.jpg
    P08-23-06_15.38640x480.jpg
    43.8 KB · Views: 293

hako

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS11 BT1 V6
Just remove the serpentine belt (easy) and then spin by hand each of the pulleys to locate the squeaky one. Question: is that coolant or oil sitting on top of the sump in the lower part of the picture?

Jamie_87

Reaction score
Members Ride
2003 BA XR6
brake cleaner also stops squeaky fan belts really well