Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

'Squeak' from engine bay

alien

Reaction score
Members Ride
03 VY Supercharged 3.8L
There's been this problem of there being a squeak coming from my engine bay (sounding like a canary chirping regularly) for a while now. I've ignored it for 6 or so months now. Mechanic told me i needed new engine belts last time it was at the shop [and one time before that, i just told him i was ordering in special ones]. I looked at the belt and could see that physically they didn't need replacing, they arn't cracking or showing any signs of wear at all (not even the slightest crack in the ribs anywhere or any chunks missing)....

Today i decided i would look into exactly what was causing the squeak, i knew which belt it was, it's the supercharger belt as when the engines running if you loosen the supercharger belt tensioner the squeak stops. A few months ago i tried squirting WD40 into the supercharger pulley gap and that seemed to stop it, i was stupid and the WD40 dripped onto the other belt causing that to slip and make awful noises, fixed that up and the squeak was gone for a bit [i'm fairly sure].

So today i decided i would try spin the four pulleys to see if there was any unusual sounds (tried the idler, tensioner, supercharger and second idler pulley [that is shared with the normal 6 cylinder {the one right next to the camshaft balancer}]). The only one that sounded a little odd was that second idler tensioner, sounded like metal 'clinging' but not sure if that needs changing. I then looked more closely at the belt while it was off the vehicle and it seems to be in the shape of a jelly bean? Well, kind of, one side is clearly bended into what otherwise is a circle. This could have been caused by the vehicle sitting in a spot too long i guess and the pulleys making it like that.

I was wondering, what do you think is causing the squeak? It's hard by just putting your ear into the engine bay to work out what is squeaking. I dont want to have to replace the belts just yet if they're not the problem, i'd rather spend my money on changing other parts and making them last longer first, and if it's a pulley it would be best to know which one it is before i go changing the wrong one or a mechanic charges me for changing the wrong one if i go that way.

Zuicider

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
Set of thongs
stretched belt doesnt always show cracks. remove the belt and run the car
if it goes away its the belt

alien

Reaction score
Members Ride
03 VY Supercharged 3.8L
LOL, by removing the belt i also stop the pulleys spinning. Meaning it could be either, but i'll note that you suggest belt.

I did forget to mention that the squeak goes away after the vehicle's warmed up a bit, so i guess that does point towards the belt too because the pulleys dont change.

Looks like i might be ordering those belts after all LOL

Zuicider

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
Set of thongs
yer mate thought it was his pump changed that and it still squeaked, ended up being the belt even dough it looked new

CANYONERO

Likes Cheese...
Reaction score
Members Ride
V8 6spd wif MOMO leavaa.
sounds very much like your pulleys squeaking to me mate. sounds like what happened to my NA V6 ute.