Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Squeak in the engine bag, v6 vs calais

Ksalisbury

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vs calais
i lent the car to my father, as he needed to borrow a car due to him being in an accident, he had to take his new car back and borrow mine and while he was driving it apparently over heated, he changed over the radiator in attempt to solve the problem and about a week beforehand I had just found the problem with my coil packs, causing a nasty squeak in the engine bay while driving, after the coil packs were replaced it stopped.

The squeak has returned and I’m wondering what would be the easiest way to check if it’s a bad pulley.
He suspects the water pump pulley may not be working properly, car hasn’t overheated for me while I’m driving it ( haven’t driven it long distances as I’m kind of afraid the fan belt is going to snap from the noise )
But when it idles it takes 10-15 minutes to get to operating temp. I’m in need to check it after a drive to see if the radiator cap gets hot or not, but while idling it doesn’t but the hoses do. I recently noticed it was low on water so I topped it off.
Prior to him borrowing it the car had no overheating problems or leaking (forgot to mention he said it was leaking)

But if there is an easy way to diagnosis the problem how would I go about it without spending big bucks..

vs-lover

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS S2 Calais, VS S2 Exec Wagon, VS S2 Acclaim
I think you may find it's the Serpentine Belt that's doing the squeaking. Get a bar of soap and while the engine is running have the belt rub over the soap on the ribbed side of the belt. If your sound disappears instantly you'll find that the belt has been contaminated somehow in the overheating process by coolant. Coolant and these drive belts are not good friends in my experience.

Ksalisbury

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vs calais
I know coolant eats away the rubber, but when I spray water on the belt the noise disappears. So I am led to believe the belt can also be a factor, but I just want to make sure before I do drive the car for a long period as I don’t want to be stuck and pay for a tow

stick3

Reaction score
Members Ride
vz sedan vs ute gsx1400
I know coolant eats away the rubber, but when I spray water on the belt the noise disappears. So I am led to believe the belt can also be a factor, but I just want to make sure before I do drive the car for a long period as I don’t want to be stuck and pay for a tow
just go get a new one and fit it

Ksalisbury

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vs calais
That’s the plan.. when I can afford one lol.
Although the one on the car is only about 2500k old

woteva

NEED 4 SPEED
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE2 Sportwagon - VR2 V6 ecotec Wag - VS2 V6 Wag
I usually just give the belt a quick spray with wd40 or similar.
Yes, wd40 works great stopping my gate hinges squeaking.
I have used brake cleaner to get oil off vbelts before.

vs-lover

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS S2 Calais, VS S2 Exec Wagon, VS S2 Acclaim
Seem to find that once coolant gets on these belts that it's basically stuffed and they become very temperamental.

So I'll agree with what "stick3" said.

These belts can make an engine sound like it's about to terminate itself.

Utel67

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vs s3 ute
Silicone spray 808 work's like a charm.