Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Squeaky brakes, quick fix?

Brett_jjj

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
The only time Ive had problems with brake squeal was when I fitted cheap $25 pads from supercheap. I only bought them to get me through to payday until I could get some proper bendix or ferodo brand pads,anyway these cheap pads squealed heaps bad.But with the more expensive brake pads fitted,I never hear a noise from them.

VrWagz1

The Wagon on Wheels..
Reaction score
Website
www.wagzhome.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
VE SSV MY09 Auto Wagon
The only time Ive had problems with brake squeal was when I fitted cheap $25 pads from supercheap. I only bought them to get me through to payday until I could get some proper bendix or ferodo brand pads,anyway these cheap pads squealed heaps bad.But with the more expensive brake pads fitted,I never hear a noise from them.

I had no end to squeeling pads with the 1 and only set of Ferodos i bought. Never bought them since. Got a set of AcDelco's for the wagon an they would have to be the quietest pad i've ever had. They just never make a noise.

Patti2912

P4TT1
Reaction score
Members Ride
98 VT S Commodore
With all this being said, i did get a defect maybe around 3 months ago, and it ended up costing just over 2 and a half grand to get all the little things road worthied again. At that time my mechanic said i needed new pads ect, he offered to fit them with cheaper pads that were just passable to keep costs down as i was struggling to come up with that much money at such short notice, then booked me in for the service in a few weeks with intentions to replace everything again with better quality pads and fix anything else thats wrong.
Considering what was said above about cheap pads, im sure its just that, and replacing the pads in a few weeks with better quality ones should fix it right up.
Never had to deal with squeaky brakes before so had no clue which direction to take.
Thanks guys :)

Brett_jjj

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
I had no end to squeeling pads with the 1 and only set of Ferodos i bought. Never bought them since. Got a set of AcDelco's for the wagon an they would have to be the quietest pad i've ever had. They just never make a noise.

Its seems strange that youve had problems with the ferodo brand.I either use bendix or ferodo and Ive gone through plenty of both brands, and never had one problem with either one.

Dave93

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS3 S-pack M5
I work at a european car dealer, we get squeaky brakes all the time, just yea take ya wheels off, undo the caliper, pull the pads out and well I use a bench grinder with a wirewheel just literally the lightest scrape on that on the face of the pad, bit of antiseize on the contact points and whack em back in. takes 20 mins to do (up to 45 mins for even the bluntest tool in the shed) and you should be fine..

PS. on another note, you really shouldn't grind brake pads in any way or for any reason because the dust is properly harmful for you, but yea... Should really use a file or some emery tape

Patti2912

P4TT1
Reaction score
Members Ride
98 VT S Commodore
I work at a european car dealer, we get squeaky brakes all the time, just yea take ya wheels off, undo the caliper, pull the pads out and well I use a bench grinder with a wirewheel just literally the lightest scrape on that on the face of the pad, bit of antiseize on the contact points and whack em back in. takes 20 mins to do (up to 45 mins for even the bluntest tool in the shed) and you should be fine..

PS. on another note, you really shouldn't grind brake pads in any way or for any reason because the dust is properly harmful for you, but yea... Should really use a file or some emery tape

Hey thanks mate, that seems pretty simple, ill suss it out :)

RX25SE

Real cars are steel cars.
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY07 Liberty 30R Spec B 6sp wagon

I would thing the antisieze is what is getting rid of most of the squeal. No harm in de-glazing though.

Gridlocked

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 VFII SV6 Commodore
I'm chasing a squealing pad issue on my VYII Berlina currently. I agree with the chamfering method and this fixes it in the short term but it always returns. My intention is to get some decent Bendix pads (not the cheap no namers) and see how this goes.

Wozza

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR_GS commodore
Oh my .................

strgas

GRA = REAL HP
Reaction score
Members Ride
MERC W124 / toys WB tonner WB Panelvan project
pressure wash the caliper and rotor area to remove excess brake dust . works for a quick fix .