Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Squeaky brakes, quick fix?

Patti2912

P4TT1
Reaction score
Members Ride
98 VT S Commodore
Hey guys, quick question,
My brakes are starting to squeak now and its getting pretty annoying.
I'm booked in at my mechanics for a service in a few weeks so i can wait until then to get them fixed, but was wondering if theres any kind of quick fix that would silent them for the mean time?

Cheers :)

FstStig

Diagnostician
Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 VE SV6
Try and get some anti-squeak onto the back of the break pad and the metal plate that goes onto it (Not the side the piston goes against) You could be due for new pads or rotors. Could just have a stone caught in the rotor.

baza

Reaction score
Members Ride
vy ss 2003 auto sedan
your brakes might have a lot of brake dust on the pads , you can wash the dust off with water . dont use compressed air , no good to breath in dust. also the pads may be glazed from use and heat . use some abrasive paper to deglaze the side of pad that contacts the disc rotors, hope this helps .

Patti2912

P4TT1
Reaction score
Members Ride
98 VT S Commodore
Thanks guys, ill try these out and hopefully it gets me by until service time :)
Thanks again.

VT-565

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT
Does the squeak disappear when your foot is on the brakes?
If so, it could be the anti-rattle spring on the brake pad.
I had this problem once, took me a while to find it, but once i tracked it down, i bent the spring by hand, put the pads back in and away i went.

Just a thought

RX25SE

Real cars are steel cars.
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY07 Liberty 30R Spec B 6sp wagon
Remove the pads and apply a small amount of copper grease (Bursons sell it as anti sieze) to the leading edge of the pads. This is the small part of the metal backing plate that contacts the caliper bracket.

A bit of CRC anti squeak (again Bursons) thinly smeared in the back of the pad, where the caliper body squeezes the pad, will also help.

I install all brake pads this way, and have never had one squeal.

Maxxiz

Reaction score
Members Ride
2005 VZ SV6
Bugger the products,
Pull the pads out, get a file or emery paper and take the glaze off them (the shiny coating on them), whack them back in and ask your mechanic to machine your rotors.

RX25SE

Real cars are steel cars.
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY07 Liberty 30R Spec B 6sp wagon
Bugger the products,
Pull the pads out, get a file or emery paper and take the glaze off them (the shiny coating on them), whack them back in and ask your mechanic to machine your rotors.

What happens when the pads wear down and glaze up again?

Products are cheaper than removing metal from the rotors.

Patti2912

P4TT1
Reaction score
Members Ride
98 VT S Commodore
Does the squeak disappear when your foot is on the brakes?
If so, it could be the anti-rattle spring on the brake pad.
I had this problem once, took me a while to find it, but once i tracked it down, i bent the spring by hand, put the pads back in and away i went.

Just a thought

It generally squeaks during lighter braking, seems to get a little louder if i push my foot in a little more, where as if i brake a lot harder its pretty quiet. It's not one consident squeak so i feel that it may be one particular part on the rotor that squeaks everytime it goes around.

hako

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS11 BT1 V6
What is wrong with a squeak anyway - it does not mean that the brakes are unroadworthy - many cars have squeaky brakes every now and then. However, the time proven method is to chamfer to leading and trailing edge of the pad...just a little. Plus a bit of a roughen up like Maxxiz says. But otherwise just live with it.