Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Squeaky Brembo brakes on SSVR S2

Discussion in 'VF Holden Commodore (2013 - 2017)' started by GMAC333, Jan 25, 2017.

1. GMAC333

GMAC333 Member

Members Ride:
    SSV Redline VF 2 white, future MSE Auto Red
    Hi all, I have been having squeaky brembo brakes on my Redline VF series 2 for over 6 months now and it can get pretty annoying. It happens whenever I am coming to a stop and gently pressing the brakes and is especially noticeable when the car first starts up and has not been used for a while, I reverse down a hill from my garage and then the squeak/squeal starts. First I thought it was water/moisture in them but when I took it to the dealer for service they said they checked it all out, cleaned them and if they still squeak/squeal then it means I have to drive the car 'harder' and use the brakes hard when I first get into the car to warm them up. They said as these brakes are for high performance cars they need to be warmed up this way. I use the car for a city commute daily and using the brakes this way to warm them up is not always possible or ideal in traffic.

Does anyone else have this same problem or got any suggestions to assist?

PSISLE likes this.
  2. AlanG

AlanG New Member

Members Ride:
    MY16 VF2 Redline
    Hey GMAC333
    My Redline is 9 months old and had its first service last week. I complained about the brakes squeeking loudly when going backwards and when I returned to pick up the car the service advisor told me Holden had issued a technical service bulletin about this problem and he had ordered the parts for me.
    I took it in yesterday, they fitted the items and guess what - fixed.

Hyperduc likes this.
  3. PeteSS

PeteSS Active Member

Members Ride:
    VF Series 2 SSV Redline
    Mine squeak like crazy in reverse. I learnt to live with it, though I'd be interested in what the fix is

4. ls3 304

ls3 304 Active Member

Members Ride:
    vfs2ss
    Its fixed for now mate, all they did is put softer compound pads in. Its called the Brembo Squeak, and you will never get rid of it completely.Yeah it may go away for a while but it will return. My girlfriend has an RS CUP Megane and that squeaks like a pig, her brother has a Nissan GTR and guess what. Its actually written in his owners manual that brakes will squeak. People for get that Brembo brakes are race brakes, unless your going 9 tenths at a track they are complete overkill, but they get them for the wank factor. I upgraded to police brakes on my series 2, will stop as good as the Brembo brakes, cheaper to replace too..

5. tml678

tml678 Well-Known Member

Members Ride:
    HSV30 Senator (w/end), '00 Magna, '17 Carnival
    Um. No..'police brakes' are just the $350 factory option offered on all new VF V8's. (ie slightly larger discs and master cylinder.)

Show me where you can buy Brembo's for that price please.

And as far as Brembo's being for 'wank factor' and 'race brakes' (whatever the hell that means) I'd rather the cheapest Brembo's than your most expensive 'police brakes'

Foggsy, TTubrag and lmoengnr like this.
  6. bigjim92

bigjim92 Active Member

Members Ride:
    2016 VF SSVR
    The fix for the brake squeal on the redlines is to add a copper grease. But even then, after a while it can come back.
    Half the problem is a build up of brake dust. I was my car weekly. After first being washed the brakes are silent, but towards the end of the week they start to get a little noisy.
    I can't stand the dust so will be swapping the stock pads out for some nice ceramic pads soon enough.

mantaray56 likes this.
  7. Smashfist

Smashfist Active Member

Members Ride:
    440rwhp Cammed VF Ute
    Brake squeal is part and parcel of any vehicle with performance brakes. As mentioned above Holden's fix is to add copper grease to the abutment surfaces of the brake pad so it doesn't vibrate against the caliper but it will come back eventually. Performance brakes make noise, that's just the way it is.

Webby_SSVR likes this.
  8. 426Cuda

426Cuda SUBLIME!

Members Ride:
    VF Redline Sedan - A6 Spitfire MSE...
    My brakes had a slight squeak when the car was brand new. That abated in time. When I fitted the rear Brembo's I fitted EBC Redstuff front and rear. No noise and very little dust. I really liked them. I have since fitted some hi-po pads recommended by Brakes Direct. They slow the car amazingly well with very little pedal pressure. I credit them with saving my car being written off yesterday, when a tosser in A Mazda CX9 approached a rounabout on my left, while he was texting. I realised he wasn't going to stop and jumped on the brakes. Instantly deep into the ABS my tyres screached and my car stopped amazingly quickly. He was hard into his bus brakes by that time and came to rest just in front of my left headlight. He looked like he'd seen a ghost. He then preceded to give me a wave, phone still in hand! But his wave made me feel so much better and all was forgiven. Not! F@_&ing A-hole!
    Anyway back to the brakes. The rears in particular squeal like a stuck pig with these pads. So much so that people sometimes look when I'm braking. No doubt expecting to see a Volvo . But they work amazingly well. I will go back to EBC Redstuff next time though.

Paulie81 likes this.
  9. SuckSqueezeBangBlow

SuckSqueezeBangBlow Active Member

Members Ride:
    Heroin White VF2 SS Wagon
    I recently put Project Mu NS400 pads in my Volvo and they squealed for the first 1000km and now they are ok. They are a nice pad.
    My chommy has the $350 Performance brake upgrade but has great pedal feel and seems to stop very well. I would only be getting Brembos for the look, they do look so goooood.

10. ls3 304

ls3 304 Active Member

Members Ride:
    vfs2ss
    Um.. no yourself bro... where in that post did i say that Police upgrade brakes were cheaper?? please read post again, and get off the crack

11. tml678

tml678 Well-Known Member

Members Ride:
    HSV30 Senator (w/end), '00 Magna, '17 Carnival
    Obviously the fine art of irony is lost on you.....bro.

You're the one who claimed that your two-bob 'police brake' upgrade are as good as thousand dollar plus brembos. Show us some evidence of that?

Brembos are just 'race brakes' are they? Do some research and have a look at how many manufacturers fit them as OEM. Why do you suppose that is? Or maybe they've got it wrong and should just fit your police brakes?

Get off the crack hey? You've shown your level of intelligence right there.

Last edited: Jan 26, 2017
  12. Redline457

Redline457 Member

Members Ride:
    VF1 6.0 SSVR A6 W457, VF2 6.2 SSVR M6
    Hey guys, new member, like a lot others long time lurker, finally joined. I did the rear Brembo upgrade on my VF1 SSVR in March last year, major squeeling issues, people on the street would stop and stare !! Went through the caliper, pad removal , clean up, reassemble with the copper grease, was all good for a few days then started again. Disassembled again and refitted the pads with PBR anti brake squeal compound and the problem has has totally been solved, no squeal what so ever. Worth a try I reckon

woooo and 426Cuda like this.
  13. panhead

panhead Well-Known Member

Members Ride:
    Cars
    Most of my cars have squeaky brakes and I like it as people turn to look which prepares them for the exhaust noise when I take off again.

Anthony121 likes this.
  14. Mavericks Choice

Mavericks Choice Well-Known Member

Members Ride:
    VF S2 M6, VE Calais V 6L S/Wagon, VZ 6L M6 Crewie
    Found this the other day, does anyone have the part numbers of the revised shims that are included in this techline?
    ScreenHunter_010.jpg

15. TTubrag

TTubrag Active Member

Members Ride:
    2016 VFII SSV Redline
    How do the EBC’s compare to the Brembo’s @426Cuda? Initial bite? Modulation? Fade?
    On every vehicle I’ve ever had, Brembo’s have outperformed any other brake package. That said I’ve never run anything more than 4 pot calipers. Apart from the dust (lucky the wheels are black) the Brembo’s pads on the Redline are superb. Just wonder how the EBC’s compare.

Last edited: Feb 5, 2018
  16. Adza75

Adza75 Active Member

Members Ride:
    VFII SSV Redline
    Does this help?

20171129_094730.jpg

Mavericks Choice likes this.
  17. Mavericks Choice

Mavericks Choice Well-Known Member

Members Ride:
    VF S2 M6, VE Calais V 6L S/Wagon, VZ 6L M6 Crewie
    Thank you Sir, exactly what I was looking for.

Adza75 likes this.
  18. Over 60

Over 60 Member

Members Ride:
    Director
    When I jacked the front of my Director and spun the front wheels I could hear the disc pads rubbing on the disc, is this normal

19. DanielSS-V

DanielSS-V Active Member

Members Ride:
    VF SS-V Redline
    The police spec brakes are extremely good. You might like the Brembo's and I have them on the front of my series 1, but they are far, far from the only effective brake solution for a Commodore. They are on a Commodore for marketing purposes. They help sell cars.

Ron Burgundy likes this.
  20. Foggsy

Foggsy Active Member

Members Ride:
    2011 VE SS Sedan M6
    Got em on my current VE Jim and i'm on my second different set of pads and its an issue. I find shims do nothing to help on the rear brembo's so copper grease it has been on piston contact area and down outside edges of pads and it stops it for a while then returns. Before copper grease i was using bendix high temp brake grease and it was about the same as the copper grease. First pads were ferodo ds performance which were really bad re rear, current pads are the remsa's on the rear. On my previous VE i was running hawk HPS in the rear brembos and they were mostly quiet apart from an occasional squeak not the howling I have currently so i may have to go and try them if i cant get this worked out on the current pads.