Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Squeaky Brembo brakes on SSVR S2

GMAC333

Reaction score
Members Ride
SSV Redline VF 2 white, future MSE Auto Red
Hi all, I have been having squeaky brembo brakes on my Redline VF series 2 for over 6 months now and it can get pretty annoying. It happens whenever I am coming to a stop and gently pressing the brakes and is especially noticeable when the car first starts up and has not been used for a while, I reverse down a hill from my garage and then the squeak/squeal starts. First I thought it was water/moisture in them but when I took it to the dealer for service they said they checked it all out, cleaned them and if they still squeak/squeal then it means I have to drive the car 'harder' and use the brakes hard when I first get into the car to warm them up. They said as these brakes are for high performance cars they need to be warmed up this way. I use the car for a city commute daily and using the brakes this way to warm them up is not always possible or ideal in traffic.

Does anyone else have this same problem or got any suggestions to assist?

AlanG

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY16 VF2 Redline
Hey GMAC333
My Redline is 9 months old and had its first service last week. I complained about the brakes squeeking loudly when going backwards and when I returned to pick up the car the service advisor told me Holden had issued a technical service bulletin about this problem and he had ordered the parts for me.
I took it in yesterday, they fitted the items and guess what - fixed.

PeteSS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Series 2 SSV Redline
Mine squeak like crazy in reverse. I learnt to live with it, though I'd be interested in what the fix is

ls3 304

Reaction score
Members Ride
vfs2ss
Hey GMAC333
My Redline is 9 months old and had its first service last week. I complained about the brakes squeeking loudly when going backwards and when I returned to pick up the car the service advisor told me Holden had issued a technical service bulletin about this problem and he had ordered the parts for me.
I took it in yesterday, they fitted the items and guess what - fixed.

Its fixed for now mate, all they did is put softer compound pads in. Its called the Brembo Squeak, and you will never get rid of it completely.Yeah it may go away for a while but it will return. My girlfriend has an RS CUP Megane and that squeaks like a pig, her brother has a Nissan GTR and guess what. Its actually written in his owners manual that brakes will squeak. People for get that Brembo brakes are race brakes, unless your going 9 tenths at a track they are complete overkill, but they get them for the wank factor. I upgraded to police brakes on my series 2, will stop as good as the Brembo brakes, cheaper to replace too..

tml678

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 HSV30 Senator, 2002 Corolla..
I upgraded to police brakes on my series 2, will stop as good as the Brembo brakes

Um. No..'police brakes' are just the $350 factory option offered on all new VF V8's. (ie slightly larger discs and master cylinder.)

Show me where you can buy Brembo's for that price please.

And as far as Brembo's being for 'wank factor' and 'race brakes' (whatever the hell that means) I'd rather the cheapest Brembo's than your most expensive 'police brakes'

bigjim92

Reaction score
Members Ride
2016 VF SSVR
The fix for the brake squeal on the redlines is to add a copper grease. But even then, after a while it can come back.
Half the problem is a build up of brake dust. I was my car weekly. After first being washed the brakes are silent, but towards the end of the week they start to get a little noisy.
I can't stand the dust so will be swapping the stock pads out for some nice ceramic pads soon enough.

Smashfist

Reaction score
Members Ride
440rwhp Cammed VF Ute
Brake squeal is part and parcel of any vehicle with performance brakes. As mentioned above Holden's fix is to add copper grease to the abutment surfaces of the brake pad so it doesn't vibrate against the caliper but it will come back eventually. Performance brakes make noise, that's just the way it is.

426Cuda

SUBLIME!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Redline Sedan - A6 Spitfire MSE...
My brakes had a slight squeak when the car was brand new. That abated in time. When I fitted the rear Brembo's I fitted EBC Redstuff front and rear. No noise and very little dust. I really liked them. I have since fitted some hi-po pads recommended by Brakes Direct. They slow the car amazingly well with very little pedal pressure. I credit them with saving my car being written off yesterday, when a tosser in A Mazda CX9 approached a rounabout on my left, while he was texting. I realised he wasn't going to stop and jumped on the brakes. Instantly deep into the ABS my tyres screached and my car stopped amazingly quickly. He was hard into his bus brakes by that time and came to rest just in front of my left headlight. He looked like he'd seen a ghost. He then preceded to give me a wave, phone still in hand! But his wave made me feel so much better and all was forgiven. Not! F@_&ing A-hole!
Anyway back to the brakes. The rears in particular squeal like a stuck pig with these pads. So much so that people sometimes look when I'm braking. No doubt expecting to see a Volvo . But they work amazingly well. I will go back to EBC Redstuff next time though.

SuckSqueezeBangBlow

Reaction score
Members Ride
Heroin White VF2 SS Wagon
. The rears in particular squeal like a stuck pig with these pads. So much so that people sometimes look when I'm braking. No doubt expecting to see a Volvo .

I recently put Project Mu NS400 pads in my Volvo and they squealed for the first 1000km and now they are ok. They are a nice pad.
My chommy has the $350 Performance brake upgrade but has great pedal feel and seems to stop very well. I would only be getting Brembos for the look, they do look so goooood.

ls3 304

Reaction score
Members Ride
vfs2ss
Um. No..'police brakes' are just the $350 factory option offered on all new VF V8's. (ie slightly larger discs and master cylinder.)

Show me where you can buy Brembo's for that price please.

And as far as Brembo's being for 'wank factor' and 'race brakes' (whatever the hell that means) I'd rather the cheapest Brembo's than your most expensive 'police brakes'
Um.. no yourself bro... where in that post did i say that Police upgrade brakes were cheaper?? please read post again, and get off the crack