Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Squeaky LS1 Pulley

garfa

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS
Hi Gents and Gentettes,

My VY has a squeaky pulley (I think) however I don't wantto pay Holden $300 to find and fix it.

It's an SS, series 2 and the squeak is only there when cold. Is there an easy way to find which one it might be? I have a contact stethoscope however there are soany pulleys and also ones out of reach I want to know how much of a bastard this job will be.

Hope someone can help as I don't like squeaking my way around town...
Thnx.

sp001in

vyma100
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY ute
It will be an idler pulley.

v8.png

Best thing you can do is spray WD40 behind each idler 1, 6, 8, 11 and see if it makes a difference.

Murdoch

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SSV Wagoon
Hi Gents and Gentettes,

My VY has a squeaky pulley (I think) however I don't wantto pay Holden $300 to find and fix it.

It's an SS, series 2 and the squeak is only there when cold. Is there an easy way to find which one it might be? I have a contact stethoscope however there are soany pulleys and also ones out of reach I want to know how much of a bastard this job will be.

Hope someone can help as I don't like squeaking my way around town...

Thnx.

One of my pulleys on my aircon belt squeaks, but only with the aircon on and when its hot.

If yours is only doing cold, maybe its just the serpentine belt, or the aircon belt?

sp001in

vyma100
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY ute
Good point, go to supercheap or similiar and buy a can of "BELT GRIP" spray on the serpentine belt while running. If this eliminates the noise then you know your on the right track

IBLOWN

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS V6 TT/'13 VF Senator/'11 WM CapriceV/Hayabusa
Let the car idle, get a ratchet and load up the idler tensioner while its running. If the squeek goes when you load it up then replace it. WD40 doesnt last long, the spring has lost tension.

DLFHUB666

GIT 'EERRR DONE!!!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX SS, PX Ford Ranger XLS Dual cab
i just done mine it was number 6 from the diagram above , i rang holden an ask for a price on 1,6,8,11 an the belts they wanted $550 got a a powerbond 25% underdrive kit for $370 off ebay with all these pulleys an belts. ;)

garfa

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS
How long did it take you to do the 25% understudy and the pulleys? I assume I will need a puller for the 25%?

DLFHUB666

GIT 'EERRR DONE!!!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX SS, PX Ford Ranger XLS Dual cab
havnt done the harmonic balancer yet got a spare set of belts off a mate(cus the 1s that come with the UD kit are smaller i think ) so just did the pulleys about half an hour but will let you know how i go on the weekend, if i get it done so much **** to do, an yes you will need a balancer puller.

garfa

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS
Well great news, it is the tensioner pulley thanks to the WD40 trick. Thanks for the assist guys!

madsav

Reaction score
Members Ride
your ass
Anyone able to help me with what tool i need to remove number 11, aircon idel pulley. tryed yesterday with a 6 & 7 allen key but no luck