Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Squeaky Seat in SV6

mw1081

Reaction score
Members Ride
2011 VE Series II SV6 Sportwagon
Hey guys,

I've currently got a really annoying problem where my drivers side seat in my SV6 Series II is squeaking when I sit on it. It sounds more like the seat back side as well as the side bolster.

Is there any way to fix this issue? Or should I take it to a auto upholsterer...

Thanks!

Castlo

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS Ute
How low is your seat? as the trim squeaks together when it's too low. Happened in my series 1 ute and sedan, hopefully the same problem as yours, you can trim the trim back a tad till it doesn't rub on eachother and you should be golden.

Rogue Trooper

Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 SII SV6
Mine is exactly the same and it's driving me up the wall. It's especially bad as I live on a hill up a windy road and the damn thing creaks every time I go round a corner and it seems to be getting worse. My seat is at about the midway point for height. I've had the seat out and looked over all the bolts that I can see and they're all tight. Going to have a look again when I can get someone in the seat rocking back and forth so I can try and isolate where it's coming from but if not I'm probably up for a new seat base. Have spoken to my local dealer who are quite good and they said they have a few tricks to try but other than that it will be a new seat base.

greenacc

Searching for the billion
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
Same issue in my car just started recently. Could be that I now set my seat at lowest possible setting so I'll check the rubbing idea.

Rogue Trooper

Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 SII SV6
Went on a mission this weekend and I've finally fixed mine. it's sooooo good now.

Bought some recliner-fix grease from Holmart... http://www.holmart.com.au/genuine-holden-vt-vx-vy-vz-ve-front-seat-recliner

Followed the instructions included with the grease as best I could as they appear to be a photocopy of a photocopy and the photos are not clear at all. Apparently you have to remove the cover on the rear of the seat but couldn't find anything anywhere that showed me how to do that so I just popped out the bottom plugs and managed to pull the cover up far enough to get to the recliner gear on either side of the seat without damaging it. I was bit more generous than the instructions suggested with the grease and then moved the set back, backwards and forwards several times to work the grease in.

Much to my disappointment and irritation that had virtually no effect on the creaking. I started playing around with the seat controls and found when I moved the seat height up and down the creaking would manifest as it went through the range. Moved the seat up to it's highest setting and then stuck my head under the rear of the seat and noticed that the rear pivot points directly below where the seat base bolts to the seat itself were looking a bit rough. The paint on the metal around the pivot point had worn off and there was a bit of surface rust. I squirted the recliner grease along the seam on both sides of the pivot points on both sides of the seat and then raised and lowered the seat several times to work the grease into the join and the creaking disappeared. I've just been for a squirt down the road and up and down the hill and the creaking has completely disappeared. I'm definitely happy with that little effort.

Hopefully this helps someone.

greenacc

Searching for the billion
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
Nice work i'm going to try that next time I get the chance.

mw1081

Reaction score
Members Ride
2011 VE Series II SV6 Sportwagon
Thanks Rogue Trooper.

I've managed to find a sweet spot in the seat height so for now, no squeaking...

If it returns, definitely be looking at the Recliner grease

Rogue Trooper

Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 SII SV6
Be interested to hear if it's the same fix.

In case the Holmart one becomes unavailable, the GM part number for this is 92256532 and it's called 'Service Kit Recliner'.