Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Squeaky wheel

sshh

Reaction score
Members Ride
2004 VZ Berlina
Hi there,

My vt wagon seems to have developed a very faint but audible squeak from what sounds like the front right. I can only hear it when I drive past something the sound can bounce off. It increases and decreases with wheel speed and came about after a camping trip where lots of bumpy gravel roads where tested out

To my un trained ears sounds like it maybe a wheel bearing or maybe something to do with the hub/brake set up?

Any ideas? How could I check a few things and identify or eliminate them?

cactus

Reaction score
The wheel bearing is a one piece sealed unit so its either that, or squeaky brakes. Jack it up and spin the wheel see if you hear anything. Then take the wheel off and inspect the brakes.

If your discs are worn and they have a lip on them, the brake pads could be in contact on the edges even when no pressure is applied.

So basically have a look and see if something obvious is wrong. If you don't have the time or inclination, someone like Kmart auto will check it out for $80 or maybe $60 if they have a special or something.

speijers

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt s pac
most likely bearing or sumtimes get a bit of ****/dust caught inbetween the disks and pads

franklinfrog

Reaction score
Website
www.cheapbrisbanebikes.com
Members Ride
VY SS Wagon 5.7 Auto Wikid Postie Bike
Probably a bearing. If it's a bearing it might disappear or get louder as you go around corners as the load moves on or off the wheel.

If you've been on gravel there could be a rock between disc and pads. Then the noise will be constantly there and probably worse when using brakes. But you'd have to take pads out to have a look and by then you may as well replace hub/bearing.

If it's so quiet you can only hear it when you're driving past a wall with the windows down, then it's not bad yet, wait for it to get worse.

New hub/bearings are pretty cheap, check ebay for cheapest or bursons or repco.