Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Squealing drive belt?

Tcatfighter

Reaction score
Members Ride
1995 HSV VS Clubsport Manual
Hi everyone, I've never been the person to enter forums but I need help!
I have a VX SS that I just brought and half way through the day the drive belt started to squeal, and now the squeal is starting when I start the car and it gets a little worse when I accelerate but after a while it get a little better, but the belt is brand new, and I have sprayed all the tensioners, and sprayed the belt with no belt slip but the squeal is still there! Ant ideas in what it could be?

lufkin

Reaction score
Members Ride
WH Manual LS1 Statesman & VT V6 Calais
did you change coolant by any chance, i changed my coolant and belt at same time, accidently spilt some on belt, and was pissed off to find the brand new belt was squealing so took it back to where i bought and they pointed out i had got coolant on it, turns out they were right, could it be something similar in your case? only other thing i have found to fix squealing belts is silicon spray, i have got all that no slip stuff they sell and it was useless

graham7773

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Acclaim Wagon
water pump seized? Or one of the other pulleys?

DLFHUB666

GIT 'EERRR DONE!!!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX SS, PX Ford Ranger XLS Dual cab
water pump seized? Or one of the other pulleys?

That normally cause's a huge cloud of smoke or at very least a burning rubber smell.

])R@G()N

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT
I had the same thing. Good chance its your Idler pulley\s bearing are stuffed.

Tip: when you do it change them all, If one is stuffed the others aren't to far away from it too..

graham7773

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Acclaim Wagon
My water pump completley seized and the only noise we heard was the belt disintegrating. Chinese crud. Also agreeing with dragon, one pulley stoofed, the rest can't be too far behind. Better to replace all than be going back two or three times

st3r3otyp3

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX HSV VX SS
Cheap fix.... spay everything pulleys belts with silicon spray. available from all hardware and auto stores. and enjoy the peace.

])R@G()N

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT
yeah should last for at least a day before its back again or untill your bearing gives out and you get stranded out in the middle of nowhere.

st3r3otyp3

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX HSV VX SS
bearings give a rattle grinding noise which he did not specify I`ve done my tensioner/idler pulley and my water pump on my clubby and they made a unmistakable horrible noise, I use this method and it lasts for months in the summer/spring. and weeks in the winter/autumn. Though to be on the safe side take the belt off and spin the pulleys one at time they should spin effortlessly will no noise, if you don`t know how to take it off just ask.