Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

squealing noise from vs 5ltr

satinblackv8

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vx s2 ss
Hey guys. From a cold start when i set off I can hear a squeeling noise coming from my engine bay. But when the engine is warm the squealing stops. Any ideas???

Freshjivin

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Executive S2/ VT SS
Ive got my car at the mechanic for the exact same thing this morning mate, will keep you posted when i get some info as my mechanic is very reliable. From what i've read on here etc it seems to be the tensioner is faulty and isn't tightening leaving the belt to move around and rub against the metal causing the squealing. My VS made the sound for a good week before it totally seems to have kicked the dirt and now my car just overheats when i turn it on and the belt is squealing like a pig. Hope this helps at all mate but i'm no mechanic so maybe someone else can shed some light on this for you but it may just need some type of lube sprayed onto the belt but I think that may be a short term fix.

Freshjivin

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Executive S2/ VT SS
Turns out it was a bearing inside the pulley that had seized up. I know not all problems are the same but I had the same problem as you mate so hopefully this can give you something to check out. GL

VS 5.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Z Series M6
It could be the bearing in the pulley like Freshjivin. Try spraying some WD40 on the pulley and then start it up. It might take a few squirts to get a good dose in. if the noise disappears then that is your problem. It's not a cure though as the WD40 will probably dry out in a couple of days and the noise will be back.

VrWagz1

The Wagon on Wheels..
Reaction score
Website
www.wagzhome.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
VE SSV MY09 Auto Wagon
My squeeling was coming from the lowest pulley, the A/C belt tensioner pulley. And it was the belt rbbing in the grove of the pulley, so in reality it was not the pulley but just dry old belts causing the issue. Even though changing the pulley temporarilly fixed the issue due to the nice paint coating on it. As soon as the new paint wore off it started squeeling again. I used to use sunlight soap and touch it on the side edges of the belt as the engine was runnig to stop the squeeling. It worked fro about 3-4 days till it came back. But ultimtly changing the belts was the answer. Bit of a painful job too if u stil have the original clutch fan. Not that its hard, just takes a little longer then you think to get all the belts replaced and tensioned.
Also could be the alternator belt, cause it needs to be tighter then a guitar string to work proprly without squeeling, which is stupid.